PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Jaunty - Compiz no longer works, ThinkPad T61 - Worked in 8.10

raintheory
April 24th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Hey all,

Just did a fresh install of Jaunty (moved from 8.10), and now when I try to enable visual effects, I get the vague message: 'Desktop effects could not be enabled'.

Compiz and all worked great on my 8.10 install, anyone know why this could be happening with a fresh 9.04 install? Anyone experienced something similar? Any workarounds?

Thanks in advance!

-aA

raintheory
April 24th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Got this straightened out with help from replies on a similar post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1134323). Seems the Intel X3000 and X3100 graphics adapters have been blacklisted on purpose. I have enabled them via the workaround below with no ill effects (yet):

mkdir -p ~/.config/compiz/ && echo SKIP_CHECKS=yes >> ~/.config/compiz/compiz-manager

Logout, login again and then enable. Did the trick for me.

Courtesy of zman14321's post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7129915&postcount=8) in the thread mentioned above...

Thanks!

jcookeman
April 27th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Nice one! I had same problem on x61s.

namdung
April 29th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Same issue in DELL Vostro 1500. Resolved now. Thanks.

ashleywiz
April 30th, 2009, 03:33 AM
GREAT!!! this quick fixed worked wondereds for me on my thinkpad R60... fixed and got my compiz running again.. thanks
Ashley

jordey24
April 30th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Thanks,that worked great! =D

-jordey24

berov
April 30th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Worked for me too. Thanks very much!!!

MSI Notebook VR601
Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

crunchfighter
April 30th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Yahtzee!!!!!

Worked great on 64 bit 9.04 running on a Gateway M-Series.

densou
April 30th, 2009, 03:49 PM
were you affected by blacklisting on both EXA and UXA ? :confused:

I hadn't that issue, thankfully :)

Nechi
April 30th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Gonna try this on my Compaq C700 laptop.

SilverDrake11
May 1st, 2009, 04:53 AM
You're a lifesaver. Had the same problem on a fresh 64bit jaunty install on my X61, and the code fixed it. But, hey, what happened to the restricted drivers manager? I definitely remember having nvidia restricted drivers on intrepid when I had that installed. Do I not need it or what?

MaindotC
May 1st, 2009, 07:38 PM
How did you install or set your video configuration? The x1300 on the T60 is no longer supported by ATI so I can't install the proprietary driver.

Nechi
May 4th, 2009, 01:01 PM
It worked!!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

MaindotC
May 4th, 2009, 03:33 PM
bump - anyone have an answer to my question?

densou
May 4th, 2009, 03:49 PM
have you tried the OpenSource drivers ?

package should be named 'radeon-hd' or similar

[pardon, I have an Intel crap :P ]

MaindotC
May 4th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Yes I have xserver-xorg-video-ati installed but the wiki says:

From Ubuntu 7.10 and onwards, the driver and server autodetect most settings. You can often just take away your xorg.conf and it will run fine.
So where are the settings if they're not in xorg.conf? I tried "man radeon" and it's difficult to determine which settings I need, and even so I'm not sure where to put them. I'm looking for some guidance in configuring an x850 card for ideal use. Right now, it is UNBELIEVABLY slow and choppy with no changes and if I add anything to xorg.conf I can't boot into the desktop environment.

Legazy
May 5th, 2009, 02:41 AM
I'm a little late, but wanted to say this works like a charm on my ThinkPad T61.

nbotticelli
May 6th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Worked great on my mother's Thinkpad T61 with intel GM965 graphics.

What did the line

mkdir -p ~/.config/compiz/ && echo SKIP_CHECKS=yes >> ~/.config/compiz/compiz-manager actually do? It makes Compiz skip checking for the correct driver from Intel? It doesn't actually change any kernal/drivers at all correct? So why the complicated set of instructions in Media and Audio forum?

Also, does the T400 with Intel graphics suffer from the same issue and will this code fix that too?

tormaser
May 21st, 2009, 08:01 PM
great..! i have a HP dv6000 and now it's working perfect, tanks 4 this post.

MaindotC
May 22nd, 2009, 04:35 PM
bump - please answer my post?

namdung
May 27th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Same issue in DELL Vostro 1500. Resolved now. Thanks.

The issue was resolved but soon my Laptop started to freeze. I have disabled compiz now and its working fine.

Maybe I'll have to wait till 9.10 for this bug to be fixed.

Potters Son
June 1st, 2009, 04:43 PM
What did the line

mkdir -p ~/.config/compiz/ && echo SKIP_CHECKS=yes >> ~/.config/compiz/compiz-manager

actually do? It makes Compiz skip checking for the correct driver from Intel? It doesn't actually change any kernal/drivers at all correct? So why the complicated set of instructions in Media and Audio forum?
nbotticelli, this code appears to create a configuration file in your home folder which says to skip checking the drivers to see if they're compatible. No kernel modification required ;), but you may have to run this command for every user on your computer that wishes to use Compiz :(.

So where are the settings if they're not in xorg.conf?
strAlan, the fact that xorg now tries to autoconfigure itself annoys me too. However, this doesn't mean that xorg totally ignores xorg.conf, either. For example, http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/904 -- in the "Performance regressions on Intel graphics cards" section -- indicates that X11 still reads xorg.conf and considers it a manual override for its automatic configuration. Just because your xorg.conf doesn't say anything doesn't mean it's being listened to. :)

I did some snooping in Synaptec; it appears that the closed-source fglrx driver for your system is provided in the package xorg-driver-fglrx. This is not installed by default on my system, but then again, I have an Intel chipset. Go into Synaptec and see if it's installed on yours. To select whether or not to use restricted drivers, press Alt-F2, type jockey-gtk, and hit run.

If you can't enable the driver there, you may have to consult https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI, which tells you how to install the closed-source (faster) driver, or https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver, which tells you how to install the open-source driver, which Ubuntu uses by default.

Godspeed, and I hope this helps.

miiko
June 6th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Folks,

Just performed an install of Jaunty 64bit on my thinkpad t61. I have the nvidia card. Install went somewhat smoothly, although it didn't automatically restart. I had compiz working under my last install, Gusty 32 bit. Tried to enable effects. It seemed like it was trying to install the drivers, but just hung. Same thing with system->administration->hardward drivers. Just hangs.
Tried Envyng. It (the application) seems to either hang or crash.

Any thoughts? thanks in advance.

miiko
June 7th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Folks,

Just performed an install of Jaunty 64bit on my thinkpad t61. I have the nvidia card. Install went somewhat smoothly, although it didn't automatically restart. I had compiz working under my last install, Gusty 32 bit. Tried to enable effects. It seemed like it was trying to install the drivers, but just hung. Same thing with system->administration->hardward drivers. Just hangs.
Tried Envyng. It (the application) seems to either hang or crash.

Any thoughts? thanks in advance.

Well, seems like all I needed to do was run Envy with the install CD in the drive. Works great now!

charkear
June 19th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Worked for me!!

sdowney717
June 22nd, 2009, 09:53 PM
did not work for me.
still no compiz
[CODE]scott@scott-desktop:~$ compiz --replace
compiz (core) - Fatal: GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is missing
compiz (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0
scott@scott-desktop:~$ metacity --replace
/usr/share/themes/aquadreams/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:89: Murrine configuration option "highlight_ratio" will be deprecated in future releases. Please use "highlight_shade" instead.
/usr/share/themes/aquadreams/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:90: Murrine configuration option "lightborder_ratio" will be deprecated in future releases. Please use "lightborder_shade" instead.
/usr/share/themes/aquadreams/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:105: Murrine configuration option "style" is not supported and will be ignored.
/usr/share/themes/aquadreams/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:157: Murrine configuration option "highlight_ratio" will be deprecated in future releases. Please use "highlight_shade" instead.
Window manager warning: "Disabled" found in configuration database is not a valid value for keybinding "switch_windows"/CODE]

MaindotC
June 23rd, 2009, 05:58 PM
I just did the ol' fresh, clean install and I'm just sticking w/ Hardy b/c I won't be getting a faster graphics card anytime soon.