PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Auto-install a list of packages

ugly_peter
April 24th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Is it possible to configure Ubuntu to automatically install a list of packages in addition to the default ones? I format pretty often, so remembering and reinstalling all the packages is sort of a pain. For example: vim, subversion, git etc ...

What is the general approach to automating a modified install?

Hospadar
April 24th, 2009, 04:37 AM
I would just save a list of all the packages you want in a text file somewhere, and when you get to a new installation, just copy and paste into an apt-get command, for example:

sudo apt-get install vim subversion git etc someotherpackage whatever

I think there may be more "advanced" ways of doing this, but it seems like a simple list is easiest

Paqman
April 24th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Well, if you're going to clone another install then you can create a list of the installed packages (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=261366), and automatically install them.

The other way to do is to just copy the names of the packages you like into a terminal command. The package manager can install as many packages as you like in one command. For example:

sudo apt-get install package1 package2 package3

I have a little text file tucked away of packages that I like to install on a fresh machine. One copy-paste and I can go have a cup of coffee while it sets it all up for me.

drs305
April 24th, 2009, 04:50 AM
You can have Synaptic make a list for you: File, Save Markings. You can then import it to your new install.