PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] CyberLink PowerDVD Linux - 9.04?

crjackson
April 24th, 2009, 01:39 AM
I'm just curious. Is CyberLink PowerDVD Linux compatible with Jaunty?

You know, Ubuntu has the store thing going on, but there is no place to contact anyone and ask questions before a purchase.

I think I'll file a bug report.

(yes, i know there is a contact link on the page but it doesn't relate to anything in the store)

Alterax
April 24th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Not to the best of my knowledge. Cyberlink's site might be able to tell you what their product will run under. From what I understand, they have not ported their code to Linux yet.

On the other hand, you can get the same functionality by installing libdvdcss from the medibuntu packages (more on www.medibuntu.org on adding this repository) and adding the ogle package as a frontend.

Paqman
April 24th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Do you want to play DVDs? Burn them? Author new DVDs?

cariboo907
April 24th, 2009, 05:08 AM
I don't know if you had a look at this (http:///shop.canonical.com/product_info.php?products_id=243), but there is a link to a faq. According you the faq PowerDVD wil not work on 64-bit versions.

crjackson
April 24th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I don't know if you had a look at this (http:///shop.canonical.com/product_info.php?products_id=243), but there is a link to a faq. According you the faq PowerDVD wil not work on 64-bit versions.

I know it's not for 64-bit. I was just curious if it is compatible with Jaunty 32-bit.

crjackson
April 24th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Do you want to play DVDs? Burn them? Author new DVDs?

I'm already doing all that. I just wanted to know if it's compatible with Jaunty 32-bit.

crjackson
April 24th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Not to the best of my knowledge. Cyberlink's site might be able to tell you what their product will run under. From what I understand, they have not ported their code to Linux yet.

On the other hand, you can get the same functionality by installing libdvdcss from the medibuntu packages (more on www.medibuntu.org on adding this repository) and adding the ogle package as a frontend.

http://shop.canonical.com/product_info.php?products_id=243&osCsid=80b0db200639a32a6d957482356d600d

solitaire
April 24th, 2009, 05:58 PM
It seems to run fine in 9.04
I had it installed on my 8.10 and ran the upgrade. power DVD was not un-installed during the upgrade and it plays DVD's I'm not sure about installing the 8.10 version of powerDVD on to a 9.04 directly. But it should not be a big issue.

Give it a couple of weeks and their should be a 9.04 version avalible.

crjackson
April 24th, 2009, 06:00 PM
It seems to run fine in 9.04
I had it installed on my 8.10 and ran the upgrade. power DVD was not un-installed during the upgrade and it plays DVD's I'm not sure about installing the 8.10 version of powerDVD on to a 9.04 directly. But it should not be a big issue.

Give it a couple of weeks and their should be a 9.04 version avalible.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know...

solitaire
April 24th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know...

OK Scrub my last message...

Some disks play fine (Region free) but region encoded disks don't seen to run under PowerDVD.

Best wait till their is a 9.04 version to iron out the bugs!!!

crjackson
April 24th, 2009, 08:52 PM
OK Scrub my last message...

Some disks play fine (Region free) but region encoded disks don't seen to run under PowerDVD.

Best wait till their is a 9.04 version to iron out the bugs!!!

Scrubbed!!!