PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Konqueror and Flash Player nonfree

teddybairs1
April 24th, 2009, 12:31 AM
I've been using Ubuntu or a variant for years now. I suppose I should have figured this one out by now, but it still stumps me. Why doesn't the flashplayer nonfree plugin work with konqueror? The gnash plugin works, but it's practically useless for most normal flash usage (i.e. youtube, and pretty much any kind of video). Konqueror is a great program for just about anything you need to do and was ahead of its time to begin with, but this one issue keeps it from really shining like it could. Can anyone explain this to me?

yeats
April 24th, 2009, 12:33 AM
I've wondered the same thing myself, but I've never looked into it...

inobe
April 24th, 2009, 12:40 AM
it's konq and not the plugins i know this much.

note: never tried on a 32bit environment.

eudemus
April 24th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I have found the same problem.
I tried various things, including a "solution" here:
http://mikearthur.co.uk/2007/12/konqueror-with-latest-adobe-flash-howto/
But it didn't work.

Would be great to get this working.
Apparently it does in KDE4, but I'm not in a hurry to upgrade (after previous fiascos! .... will let the new versions settle down a bit first).

Cheers for any help anyone can offer ....

gandaran
April 24th, 2009, 03:01 PM
install or just copy the libflashplayer.so file (adobe flash plugin) to Konqueror plugins directory!

eudemus
April 24th, 2009, 03:12 PM
I'm liking the simplicity of it ...

But where is this directory?
A brief look around /usr/lib hasn't shown me anywhere obvious ....

gandaran
April 24th, 2009, 03:19 PM
I'm liking the simplicity of it ...

But where is this directory?
A brief look around /usr/lib hasn't shown me anywhere obvious ....
I don't use KDE so I'm not sure, look in /home/'user'/.konqueror/plugins (maybe try making the plugins folder here and install the flash, usually this works for almost every browser, I don't know about konqueror!) or /usr/lib/konqueror/plugins.

edit:
adobe flash is a gtk application, maybe you need something to make it work with qt applications so I'm not sure if it can work but try anyway and let us know the outcome.

eudemus
April 24th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Ah, I've got it in a folder detected in Konqueror, and it appears in about:plugins, but it still doesn't work.

I've really no idea why.

about:plugins lists other flash plugins, although the version I want (v.10) appears first on the list. Should work. But doesn't.

Humph.

eudemus
April 24th, 2009, 03:36 PM
by the way, I do appreciate your help & suggestions very much.

gandaran
April 24th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Ah, I've got it in a folder detected in Konqueror, and it appears in about:plugins, but it still doesn't work.

I've really no idea why.

about:plugins lists other flash plugins, although the version I want (v.10) appears first on the list. Should work. But doesn't.

Humph.
if you have any other flash installed you have to remove them, only keep adobe flash installed then try again.

eudemus
April 24th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Yeah, I'm getting a better result now with many sites, but not for youtube ... must investigate further ....

Cheers for your help.

teddybairs1
April 24th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I've tried moving the libflashplayer.so file before, and I've tried it on KDE4 and KDE3, but still no dice. I'm not a coder by any stretch. I barely got through my C++ class, and that's rusty at best.

It just doesn't make good sense to me why this problem seems to have been overlooked for so long. Konqueror is a great browser. If this problem were solved, I'd probably use it instead of Firefox most of the time. I remember it was the first Linux browser I really used on Linspire, when it was still Lindows, because I couldn't get the Mozilla suite working for some reason on 4.5 with the dial-up.

Maybe I should shoot an email to the Kubuntu MOTU.