PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Annoying sound when moving mouse

riwa
April 23rd, 2009, 11:54 PM
When i move my mouse a squealing sound comes out of the headphones. Its constant. When I move the mouse its always there. When I dont, its silenced. Very annoying.

Any ideas?

ddrichardson
April 24th, 2009, 12:00 AM
USB, PS2 or wireless mouse?

wandering_not_lost
June 9th, 2009, 01:59 AM
I get the same thing, mouse move = odd noise, thought it was just me.
USB mouse btw.

ddrichardson
June 9th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Is the USB controller on the main board or in a slot? Same for the soundcard. USB transmits power to the mouse and interference is easily picked up in unshielded soundcards.

Brausen
June 15th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Is the USB controller on the main board or in a slot? Same for the soundcard. USB transmits power to the mouse and interference is easily picked up in unshielded soundcards.
The only way out is to shift the USB mouse?
Is there another solution?

ddrichardson
June 15th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Shield the sound card. A surprisingly common issue is simply not screwing the card into the chassis (where the back plate touches the case).

Arcturus691
August 12th, 2009, 01:18 PM
I think this might be a bug. This problem started right after the last updates. I also just noticed that on my system if you press and hold the arrow key on the keyboard you get the same noise. The sound happens even if the sound is muted via software. Any one know how to check which updates were applied on the last update?(Nevermind: synaptic->file->history)

I have attached updates done on my system before sound issue.

I noticed some header updates maybe these are the culprit?

Arcturus691
August 21st, 2009, 02:40 PM
Just for the record,
Annoying sound disappeared for me with latest updates, specifically:

linux-image-generic (2.6.28.14.19) to 2.6.28.15.20

Volume control for keyboard is still busted probably separate issue.
See Thread: 1249336 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1249336) for volume control fix