PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] lvm snapshot to tar not running in crontab

senor_smile
April 23rd, 2009, 11:32 PM
I have a 8.04 LTS server being used as a file server. I have an LVM volume which takes up half of the available storage on the secondary disk(actually 4 disks put into one via LVM). My goal is to take a snapshot once per day, tar the contents of the disk's snapshot, and then remove the snapshot. This all works when I run the commands manually. However, I have entered them into a script to run, and entered the script in crontab. Here's the script:

umount /media/datasnapshot
lvremove -f /dev/fileserver/datasnapshot

lvcreate -L69G -s -n datasnapshot /dev/fileserver/data
mount /dev/fileserver/datasnapshot /media/datasnapshot

tar -pczf /media/WDC/backups/data$(date +%y.%m.%d).tar.gz /media/datasnapshot

umount /media/datasnapshot
lvremove -f /dev/fileserver/datasnapshot

I first unmount and remove the snapshot in case there was an existing snapshot in use by the admin on site. When I run these commands from the cli all goes well. When this script ran at 15:00 today, as scheduled, it only produced a tiny 121 byte file. The files being produced when I run the script manually are 2.8 GB. In the syslog, the only mention of the script running is:

Apr 23 15:00:01 FileServer /USR/SBIN/CRON[16408]: (root) CMD (/home/allyn/backupscript.sh)
Apr 23 15:15:08 FileServer crontab[16501]: (root) BEGIN EDIT (root)
Apr 23 15:15:10 FileServer crontab[16501]: (root) END EDIT (root)

Thanks in advance!
--shaun

doogy2004
April 24th, 2009, 01:02 AM
what does your crontab entry look like?

senor_smile
April 25th, 2009, 12:03 AM
my crontab contains the following:

# m h dom mon dow command
0 15 * * * /home/allyn/backupscript.sh

the backupscript.sh is the script that contains the entire code for creating the snapshot, tar-ing the contents of the data drive, and removing the snapshot.

senor_smile
April 27th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I have further determined that only parts of my shell script are running. The snapshot is not being created, but it's going ahead with the tar creation, which explains the tiny tar files with nothing in them.

So, I have made a simpler shell script to just create a snapshot, and it doesn't work.

I have the following in a file called snapshot.sh:

lvcreate -L69G -s -n datasnapshot /dev/fileserver/data
mount /dev/fileserver/datasnapshot /media/datasnapshot

the file has rxwrxwrxw(777) privileges. The script runs fine, i.e. creates the snapshot correctly, when I run it manually from the command line. Any ideas what I need to change to get that to run correctly?

senor_smile
April 27th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I have finally solved the problem!!!

After reading ubuntu's wiki on crontab, I found a reference to setting the path. I added:

PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

and all works as expected now.