PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Intel 945 chipset horribly slow with Jaunty

u'b'u'n't'u
April 23rd, 2009, 10:27 PM
I recently upgraded to jaunty from hardy and everything is sooooo sloooow 3d acceleration is so slow its hardly even there!:(:eek: is this a known bug that i can fix?

alcCapone
April 24th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Me, too.

$ lspci | grep -i 945gm
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)I upgraded to Jaunty yesterday and my glxgears' score is now only one fifth of the approx. 1000 FPS I used to have.

$ glxgears
get fences failed: -1
param: 6, val: 0
1058 frames in 5.0 seconds = 211.528 FPS
If I remember correctly, glxinfo now says Mesa where it said Intel before. And what is this get fences failed stuff?

$ glxinfo | grep render
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 945GM GEM 20090326 2009Q1 RC2 x86/MMX/SSE2
By the way, where did all the stuff in xorg.conf go? Where can I say: Use an intel driver, or the vesa driver, or ...?

Greetings,
Christian.

MonsterDigital
April 25th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Hi friends, excuse me for my english I speak spanish...

But I have the same problem, and I found this

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReinhardTartler/X/RevertingIntelDriverTo2.4

where says that we can reverting the driver of Xorg Intel, and in many cases solve the problems and the performance is better...

I hope works for us, and I trying in a couple hours...

Luck... and greetings... :lolflag:

caro
April 25th, 2009, 02:14 AM
I just tried this https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReinhardTartler/X/RevertingIntelDriverTo2.4 and it worked great. Compiz is smooth again.

71CH
April 25th, 2009, 04:11 AM
Can somebody tell this noob how to add the GPG keys using that tutorial? Thanks.

Chemical Imbalance
April 25th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Can somebody tell this noob how to add the GPG keys using that tutorial? Thanks.

Make a new .txt file on your desktop and paste the lines in this link into it:http://ppa.launchpad.net/siretart/ppa/ubuntu/dists/jaunty/Release.gpg

Then just import it in the Authentication tab within System Sources.

71CH
April 25th, 2009, 04:36 AM
I'm sorry if these are stupid questions but I can't seem to get it to import into system sources. I made the txt file and pasted the numbers. I tried twice where the first time I pasted everything in that link you pasted and the second time I just pasted the letters and numbers in the middle. Both times the system sources wouldn't import it. Can you give a little more help? Thanks.

Chemical Imbalance
April 25th, 2009, 04:40 AM
I'm sorry if these are stupid questions but I can't seem to get it to import into system sources. I made the txt file and pasted the numbers. I tried twice where the first time I pasted everything in that link you pasted and the second time I just pasted the letters and numbers in the middle. Both times the system sources wouldn't import it. Can you give a little more help? Thanks.

Make sure you copy everything exactly as it appears in that link, not just the numbers. Otherwise it should work.

Try opening gedit and paste it into that first and save it to your desktop.

caro
April 25th, 2009, 04:42 AM

This is the first time I've done this, but following the directions from the wiki above do this (I've copied the key for you):

Copy the following:

-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
Version: SKS 1.0.10

mI0ESXOhUgEEALnFAL8QAwFpZZk1B6e2Ih46cZQGrhIjyA3p5B aJWs1fKMuXcIfRCKVbVY7s
zAPXiAZKfYCQTQar2nqat/ep5VbvqFphyiKldeGWa6HgWHAaeKUsZ9unPWOOIkxCcgJ3t5nn
fQgqUJ3lI+MJvLxe6yHPctbVCD+o3vxQQZ5Fpk9JABEBAAG0Ik xhdW5jaHBhZCBQUEEgZm9y
IFJlaW5oYXJkIFRhcnRsZXKItgQTAQIAIAUCSXOhUgIbAwYLCQ gHAwIEFQIIAwQWAgMBAh4B
AheAAAoJEM6Q2Jg+cx95JjIEALHLv+aU8zSsBFgKgdc6b+eL9+ Ow1/SvxdgeNqLMjFH4Oe8y
c/CnSnW70BDaVpkK1Z5DDw7yZxTJy8sfyRurqOfuJYjf7bAtkIFO 1fhWHKViFJ0s5y4o+BDD
/ZIDnsIESwT8GOy2bYqSn0g7qTxLEs3KHYAOPTMIqNyNlLS7jwM j
=+SQO
-----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----

Open up a terminal window and enter:

gedit

This will bring up a text editor. Paste the code above in to the text editor and then save the file.

Open up System > Administration > Software Sources and click on Authentication tab. The click on the Import Key File button and navigate to the file you just just saved and double click on it.

71CH
April 25th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Thanks for your help but it doesn't seem to be working. I thought I wasn't as big of a noob as this. :D Do you think you can tell me how I can add this key through the command line? Thanks.

71CH
April 25th, 2009, 04:47 AM
NVM I got it to import. Thanks everyone for your help! :D

71CH
April 25th, 2009, 04:51 AM
So I just noticed that my fps got worse in glxgears after doing this. Does this mean I should not use it? I kinda hoped this would improve it...

caro
April 25th, 2009, 05:53 AM
So I just noticed that my fps got worse in glxgears after doing this. Does this mean I should not use it? I kinda hoped this would improve it...

My fps didn't change much after I did made this change, but my compiz effects (like rotate cube) and my screen savers improved tremendously. Check a few things before you decide it didn't work.

caraboy
April 25th, 2009, 01:45 PM
On my HP530 with intel 945gm I have the same performance issues. :( I decided to wait some time before applying any trick, maybe ubuntu team will fix it.

alcCapone
April 26th, 2009, 09:41 AM
I decided to wait some time before applying any trick, maybe ubuntu team will fix it.

That's why I'm keeping the new driver, too. But at least I do what I can to improve this driver's performance.

The device section in my xorg.conf now looks like this:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Option "AccelMethod" "uxa"
Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
EndSectionNow I'm back to 40% of my original performance - at least better than one fifth. It's measured with glxgears although one of the posted links suggested not to use this as a benchmark. But the general compiz performance also feels like approx. half the FPS I had in Intrepid.

BTW: Can someone recommend a simple non-game benchmark to measure your 3D performance?

Roanoke
May 2nd, 2009, 04:27 PM
Awesome. I had the same problem, the guide mentioned on page 1 solved it.

almikul
May 4th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Can I suggest to run high-definition YouTube videos or any other flash ones in full screen mode as a benchmark? You will probably still get an awful performance no matter what you do in Jaunty.

When I reverted to Intrepid's driver (2.4) in Jaunty, the compiz effects improved and the DVD videos started playing much more smoothly, but the flash was still jerky and un-watchable and glxgears gave me ~250 fps instead of 800 fps in Intrepid. Also, when I set the virtual resolution to 2960x1050 to connect a second monitor, the whole video performance goes down the drain.

I also tried to use UXA with native Jaunty driver, and it improved the compiz and DVD playback, but it does not allow to set virtual resolution to 2960x1050. Also, glxgears gave me ~350 fps.

So, both 'workarounds' proved to be of little use to me. I hope one day the Ubuntu team could bring the performance to the Intrepid level which worked great for me.

alcCapone
May 6th, 2009, 09:01 PM
After upgrading to xserver-xorg-video-intel (2:2.6.3-0ubuntu9.2) I'm - according to glxgears - now back to approx. 50% of my Intrepid performance.

$ glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately 1/57626 the monitor refresh rate.
2488 frames in 5.0 seconds = 497.523 FPS
2452 frames in 5.0 seconds = 490.358 FPS
2493 frames in 5.0 seconds = 498.499 FPS
2490 frames in 5.0 seconds = 497.964 FPS
2479 frames in 5.0 seconds = 495.672 FPS
2445 frames in 5.0 seconds = 488.672 FPS
2454 frames in 5.0 seconds = 490.515 FPS
2469 frames in 5.0 seconds = 493.770 FPS
In games like OpenArena it feels like I'm having way less than half of my original FPS value - although I don't have any exact reference value. The quality of Youtube videos watched in HQ in full screen mode is fair again - no black stripes appearing.

alcCapone
May 25th, 2009, 08:12 PM
I've made an interesting observation today. Since I upgraded to Jaunty I thought that the overall compiz performance is noticeable better when I use an attached monitor with my X60s laptop.

Today I pseudo-measured that with glxgears (yeah I know ... not a benchmark) and I have a plus of 10% (404 instead of 366) when I use the external monitor with a higher resolution of 1280x1024 instead of using the internal laptop LCD with 1024x768. But actually the performance boost working with the external monitor feels way bigger than just 10% - again glxgears is no benchmark.

When I switch the monitor to the laptop LCD native resolution ( 1024x768 ) then the performance loss is back.

So the question is: At what screen resolution do you experience your performance loss right now?

Christian.

nutznboltz
July 19th, 2009, 03:45 PM
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/342904

Says there's a new major version of the -intel driver is now available in Karmic.

Asks for volunteers to test Karmic Alpha:

http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/releases/karmic/

Download iso, boot into live mode, see if graphics improve. Thanks.

piou13
July 22nd, 2009, 08:29 PM
i tested with Karmic Alpha and i think that everything is back again
i boot with live cd and the video in full screen was ok .
also the mozila window was quick again when from minimized i bring it to front
im waiting for the stable release