PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] NAT, can't make remote connections by public (external) ip

redmorning
April 23rd, 2009, 10:12 PM
Hi,i created a small LAN at home,on my laptop i have a ubuntu 8.10 as host and two of my guests are windows server 2003 and an xp.on my desktop xp as host with another xp and ubuntu(8.10) as guests.There are sql server 2005 on all windows os (that's for my project).

my aim is to reach all of these machines remotely by any ip and for this i made some configuration on my routers interface (i don't use iptables for this moment).

Before using sql servers(1433) i want to control (also want to use) this port forwardings by ssh and rdesktop,basically i forwarded ports 22 (ssh) and 3389 (rdesktop) to my local ips.

router(AirTies RT-205):
Target ip______|__WAN port__|__Target LAN port__|__Packages
192.168.2.2___|____22______|______22___________|__ _TCP&UDP
192.168.2.3___|___3389_____|_____3389__________|__ _TCP&UDP

here are some of(neccessary) my private ip
laptop->ubuntu->192.168.2.2
desktop->xp->192.168.2.3
desktop->ubuntu->192.168.2.4

these two machines are enough to explain my situation.

i can remotely connect to my xp(desktop host) in LAN:
rdesktop -g 1250x700 192.168.2.3
i can ssh to my ubuntu on desktop(guest) in LAN:
ssh piratejackus@192.168.2.4
of course i can ssh my own ubuntu(laptop host) too.

i check my ports, if they are open,with my public (external) ip by
http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/,
both,22 and 3389,seems open.

after local tries i use my public ip for ssh to my ubuntu (laptop):

piratejackus@gemi:~$ ssh -v piratejackus@XX.XX.XX.XX
OpenSSH_5.1p1 Debian-3ubuntu1, OpenSSL 0.9.8g 19 Oct 2007
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
debug1: Applying options for *
debug1: Connecting to XX.XX.XX.XX [XX.XX.XX.XX] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /home/piratejackus/.ssh/identity type -1
debug1: identity file /home/piratejackus/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
debug1: identity file /home/piratejackus/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host

and try rdesktop:

piratejackus@gemi:~$ rdesktop -g 1260x730 XX.XX.XX.XX
Autoselected keyboard map en-us
ERROR: XX.XX.XX.XX: unable to connect

i made some changes in /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts_deny but it didn't change anything.

i opened my ports on router and checked them,made NAT to my local computers,but no joy and need help.

Peter09
April 23rd, 2009, 10:22 PM
What do you see in syslog on the target machine?

redmorning
April 23rd, 2009, 10:29 PM
i checked my syslog (laptop-host ubuntu) and nothing about ssh or my public ip,what can i look for in syslog about this issue?

redmorning
April 24th, 2009, 12:08 PM
any other idea please?

Peter09
April 24th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Sanity Check - confirm your external IP is what you think.

redmorning
April 24th, 2009, 12:26 PM
no problem with public ip,already checked for many times..

Peter09
April 24th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Just a thought - in this line

piratejackus@gemi:~$ ssh -v piratejackus@XX.XX.XX.XX
are you expecting to hit 'piratejackus' (thats the same machine thats issuing the command)

or you other hosts?

OneMixDJ
April 24th, 2009, 12:44 PM
piratejackus,

Can you specify how you are verifying your public ip?

Go to www.ipchicken.com from ether of the inside machines and verify your public ip.

Also, what kind of router do you have?

In addition (for troubleshooting purposes), I would suggest reverting the changes made in /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts_deny back to default before testing again.

redmorning
April 24th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Peter09;

piratejackus is a common user on my ubuntu boxes
ssh -v -l piratejackus 88.235.125.240
i am expecting for an password prompt as usual..

The Cog
April 24th, 2009, 12:47 PM
You are trying to connect from your home LAN to your homes public internet address? That would involve two machines on your local LAN talking via your router and one being NATted in the process. I don't believe this can ever work.

Suppose that machine A tries to connect to machine B by connectng to the public address (P). Even if the router sees the connect request, translates the destination address from P to B and forwards it (most routers won't do this) you will have problems. Machine A has sent a connect request from A to P. Machine B sees a connect request from A to B. But B is on teh same LAN as A so it will reply directly. Machine A will then get a connect confirm from B to A. But it didn't try to connect to B, it tried to connect to P. As far as machine A is concerned, its connect request went unanswered, and as a completely independent event, it received an unexpected connect confirm from B which it rejects.

You will only be able to test your NAT setup from another internet site, not locally.

You may want to consider using OpenVPN to gain full access to your home network from elsewhere.

redmorning
April 24th, 2009, 12:53 PM
OneMixDJ;

i have a dynamic ip so i got a domain from dyndns.com,i use(for SSH and rdeskto) my ip or my domain for public ip and same result for both of them.
i am getting my ip from my router (as i mentioned before:AirTies RT-205) interface and everytime i reboot my router i check for my new public ip which my ISP provides.
i also reverted /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny files to default.

djtnz
April 24th, 2009, 12:57 PM
The Cog is right, you can't test your NAT settings from the LAN side using your external IP.

Your best bet is to test it from another site that is not behind your router

redmorning
April 24th, 2009, 01:04 PM
The Cog and djtnz;

The Cog's explanation seems logical,i thougt that:

In my LAN i can connect form A to B and if i make port forwarding (NAT) for the port (ex:22-SSH-) to B i can connect to B from A using my public ip,due to reasons (The Cog mentioned) it may not work,i am at the university now and try in a little while from here and inform you.

redmorning
April 24th, 2009, 02:54 PM
i'm back (still at the university).i learned my ip from my router interface (dyndns-domain) and checked port 3389 (default port for rdesktop) from :

http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

and it is opened,after that i tried to rdesktop:

piratejackus@gemi:~$ rdesktop XX.XX.XX.XX

still no joy and i still need help.

redmorning
April 24th, 2009, 02:56 PM
i also post my very very simple router NAT configuration

to inform again;
192.168.2.3 -> LAN(home)desktop xp
192.168.2.2 -> laptop(at university with me now(: ) ubuntu

Peter09
April 24th, 2009, 03:05 PM
You seem to have a router setup problem. If you want to get from laptop (external) to desktop (local 192.168.2.3) then your port forwarding should show ssh->192.168.2.3.

It appears that you are forwarding locally to 192.168.2.2?

Am I misreading this?

redmorning
April 24th, 2009, 03:12 PM
i'm back (still at the university).i learned my ip from my router interface (dyndns-domain) and checked port 3389 (default port for rdesktop) from :

http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

and it is opened,after that i tried to rdesktop:

piratejackus@gemi:~$ rdesktop XX.XX.XX.XX

still no joy and i still need help.

yes my friend you're,now i'm trying rdesktop to reach my xp in home-lan,did try ssh when i was at home.
My aim is just to see one of these forwardings working,rdesktop or ssh.
as i told in earlier post:
rdesktop(3389) to 192.168.2.3
is what i'm trying now university-home

Peter09
April 24th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Ok lets confirm this.

You are at UNI. with your laptop - its IP address is does not matter.

you are trying

ssh -X <yourusername>@<yourhome external_ip>

this will go from UNI and hit your router on its external IP port. It will say ahh--- ssh I am instructed to forward ssh to an IP address on the local LAN which is....(from what I can see 192.168.2.2).

This is your laptop address.... which happens to be at University.... ain't going to work. Please tell me where this is wrong.

Yours in Confusion..

redmorning
April 24th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Peter09

this thread looks a little complicated because of me i think,i am sorry,i will try to fix this situation.

last night i did those:
ssh <username>@<192.168.2.2> (192.168.2.2-my laptop-host-ubuntu private ip in LAN)
works of course,
then i thougt if i forward port 22 to my laptop-host(ubuntu) maybe i can ssh again,i made changes in router as you can see from png i uploaded,
ssh <username>@<my_external_ip>
but it didn't work.

Then The Cog told me that i can't check NAT configuration inside the LAN so now i'm trying from universtiy.

hope it is fine till here Peter09 (:

In my LAN i could connect with private ip:
rdesktop 192.168.2.3(Desktop-host-xp)
Now the only box in my LAN is Desktop-host-xp which i can check if my NAT is working or not.I'm ijust interested with port 3389(for rdesktop) for now,not 22(SSh). I think: i made NAT,my port on router is opened and i can connect remotely to my xp (LAN) but can't.

İf it is still not clear just say,this is the simplest way i can explain my problem and situation.

thanks..

Peter09
April 24th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Ok Thanks - so you are using remote desktop to connect to your local Desktop machine which is 192.168.2.3. For that your router is fine.

To be pedantic - the command you are using is:

rdesktop <your external ip address> (which is not 192.168.2.3)

redmorning
April 24th, 2009, 03:42 PM
(:

yes,i am using that command,not my private ip of course (:

so,do you have any idea? it looks so simple but still no solution by my side.

Peter09
April 24th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Sorry for the detail, but its difficult to help from a distance, and you can spend a lot of time trying and then find out that it was a basic problem that a person did not understand.

First check, try to ping your external ip address.

ping <external ip address>

It should respond. (unless your router is set not to?)

Second test try

whois <external ip address>

Although you will not see any personal details you should see reference to your isp.

redmorning
April 24th, 2009, 03:54 PM
you're absolutely right,it's not easy to understand the problem and help form distance,thank you again for your time,now,

i can ping,no need to post ping result here (:

piratejackus@gemi:~$ whois XX.XX.XX.XX
connect: Connection refused

makes sense?

Peter09
April 24th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Does not seem to make sense as whois should respond with information about your IP address.

Would you like to email me your IP address? I could check from here as well. I won't be offended if you refuse.

redmorning
April 24th, 2009, 04:01 PM
ok,i sended my public ip as private message and mail too.

Peter09
April 24th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Hi, ok

I did a rdesktop<you external ip> and got a windows XP login-in screen, so it is working from here. The problem you have is either with your laptop or the University is blocking rdesktop protocols.

redmorning
April 24th, 2009, 04:09 PM
really!i am surprised,i am able to connect in LAN with private ip,despite that you think it can be because of my laptop(ubuntu)? if it is,how can i solve that?

Peter09
April 24th, 2009, 04:13 PM
More likely that the University is not allowing remote desktop protocols outbound. May be a security decision.

redmorning
April 24th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Peter09,

thanks to take time for me,now i know that my simple NAT is working,it is enough for me,i m gonna try this from different points and hope got it work as you did (:

bye.