PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] error while copying from command line

DoubleMcLovin
April 23rd, 2009, 08:46 PM
So I am trying to copy an entire drive to another drive which is blank.

I mount both drives (vfat, FAT32) as follows in my /etc/fstab

/dev/sda1 /media/160gb.w95-os vfat iocharset=utf8,umask=000 0 0
I perform the following once the drives are mounted,

sudo cp -rfp /media/160gb.w95-os/* /media/82gb.w95-os/

So that SHOULD be recursive, force, and copy permissions (thus the sudo).

Now I get the following error

cp: reading `/media/160gb.w95-os/Copy of Drive C 06 19 2008/ArtApart.20/AAUninst.exe': Input/output error
and it halts. Always at the same place. Now I tried doing directory at a time and realized there are numerous spaces in file names and special characters which linux obviously has trouble with. My question is, how can I force the copy without having to rename each file (multiple thousands).

unutbu
April 23rd, 2009, 08:50 PM
sudo rsync -a /media/160gb.w95-os/ /media/82gb.w95-os/

SuperSonic4
April 23rd, 2009, 08:52 PM
I perform the following once the drives are mounted,

sudo cp -rfp /media/160gb.w95-os/* /media/82gb.w95-os/

So that SHOULD be recursive, force, and copy permissions (thus the sudo).

The * says to copy all files inside the folder, with copying you don't need this as you're using the -r flag which copies the folder and everything in it. If you change it to

sudo cp -rfp '/media/160gb.w95-os/' /media/82gb.w95-os/ you should have more luck. Remember that fat32 can only support up to 4gb per transfer

leandromartinez98
April 23rd, 2009, 08:58 PM
sudo rsync -a /media/160gb.w95-os/ /media/82gb.w95-os/

sudo rsync -avtr /media/160gb.w95-os/ /media/82gb.w95-os/

will be better. Recursive and, if it stops for some error, you can
try restart it with the same command, and it will only update the
new or modified files.

unutbu
April 23rd, 2009, 09:08 PM
From the man page for rsync:

-a, --archive archive mode; equals -rlptgoD

so the -a option already include the -tr flags.

-v, --verbose increase verbosity

The -v flag just makes the command more verbose.

"rsync -a" and "rsync -avtr" can both be restarted and is smart about only updating new or modified files (unlike cp). Thanks for pointing out this last part, leandromartinez98. It is a very good reason to use rsync rather than cp.

DoubleMcLovin
April 24th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Wow... that was epic haha. So I went ahead and ran the command
sudo rsync -a /media/160gb.w95-os/ /media/82gb.w95-os/ and I end up getting my terminal absolutely FLOODED with spam, I hit CTRL+C to break it, and heres some of the garbage that was flying across the terminal.
rsync: readlink "/media/160gb.w95-os/Copy of Drive C 06 19 2008/DYADGames/Puzz-3DVictorian/4╟d╕╘.┘"═" failed: Input/output error (5)
rsync: readlink "/media/160gb.w95-os/Copy of Drive C 06 19 2008/DYADGames/Puzz-3DVictorian/]c>*.░t=" failed: Input/output error (5)
rsync: readlink "/media/160gb.w95-os/Copy of Drive C 06 19 2008/DYADGames/Puzz-3DVictorian/ⁿeαn.\#021.╡\#033|" failed: Input/output error (5)
rsync: readlink "/media/160gb.w95-os/Copy of Drive C 06 19 2008/DYADGames/Puzz-3DVictorian/\#020auu#╫.q" failed: Input/output error (5)

Like I said, there are a few thousand files with names like that, and those are actual files which for some bizarre reason exist and are apparently needed by a program to run.

I believe I've come up with a solution, I tried zipping a few of the items in that folder, and it creates an archive just fine which I can then copy. I think I am just going to zip the entire drive, then copy the zip and unzip through windows. (windows has a very big problem reading from this drive which is why I am moving things, it is most definitely on the edge of dying, so I would like to avoid any non-essential I/Os on there. But I am still very curious as to how one could overcome this obstacle without creating an archive =\

DoubleMcLovin
April 24th, 2009, 03:41 AM
bump.. the zip method is incredibly horrific in this case as I have several hundred gigs >_> and making 4GB .zip packets is a horribly time consuming and mind numbing procedure.

andrew.46
April 26th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Hi SuperSonic4,

sudo cp -rfp '/media/160gb.w95-os/' /media/82gb.w95-os/

It is a minor nitpick but would an easier commandline replace:

cp -rfp

with the following:

cp -a

I have always been a little wary of -f and I cannot see why it would be necessary on a blank drive?

Andrew