PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install 9.10 from ISO

MikesGuitar
April 23rd, 2009, 07:18 PM
I need a refresher on how to install with the ISO. This is how I installed 8.04 Ubuntu the first time. I am having trouble with upgrading through update manager, and figured it would be easier to do it with the ISO CD. Should I save all of my information? Will this require an additional partition? Or will 9.10 just replace 8.04 once I do my thing...... Thanks for your help

steve101101
April 23rd, 2009, 07:24 PM
the easiest way to keep all your data is to upgrade the install

1. To upgrade from Ubuntu 8.10 “Intrepid Ibex”, press Alt+F2 and

2. Type in “update-manager -d” (without the quotes) into the command box.

this will keep all you data and such.

You can start off with a clean install but you will have to backup any files you want to keep. To do this you need to burn an iso to a disk and then move all your data you want to keep to another hard drive / usb drive or dvd's

CRIMPS
April 23rd, 2009, 07:27 PM
You may want to change the title to reference 9.04, instead of 9.10 which won't be released for another 6 months.

MikesGuitar
April 23rd, 2009, 07:30 PM
I am having a lot of problems with my update manager. I am running Hardy Heron and need to upgrade to 8.10 before going on to 9. The first time I tried to get the new dist by doing exactly what you said it worked fine, but i had to cancel the install because I have low battery. It did not start to actual instal just the preliminary stuff. Now when I do it it says my system is up to date. This is driving me NUTS! can some one plase help, i will provide anymore infor if needed

AbdulRahiem
April 23rd, 2009, 07:36 PM
Burn the ISO to a CD. Then, when you insert the CD when running Intrepid, it will offer to upgrade the distribution.

MikesGuitar
April 23rd, 2009, 07:40 PM
The thing is, is that I am not using Intrepid, I still have 8.04. For some reason my update manager is not working properly anymore.

steve101101
April 23rd, 2009, 07:41 PM
you may have to start the update manager and repair any broken packages.

MikesGuitar
April 23rd, 2009, 07:42 PM
How do I do that?