PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] kmail NOT AUTHENICATED

BertP
April 23rd, 2009, 06:51 PM
I am an Ubuntu 7.10 user (using gnome) but I want to install Kmail because that seems to be the only email package that can import Microsoft Outlook Express databases.

When I go to install Kmail, I get a warning about it being not authenticated

Why is this happening? Has the support for 7.10 ran out and every application I install from now on going to be unauthenticated?

See for yourself, I have attached a screen shot

unutbu
April 23rd, 2009, 06:59 PM
Open a terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal) and type

sudo apt-get update

Repositories use GPG public/private keys to sign their packages.
The keys change from time to time, and you have to run the above command to get the new keys. Having the current public keys allows your machine to verify that the packages it downloads are authentic.

BertP
April 23rd, 2009, 07:23 PM
Open a terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal) and type

sudo apt-get update

Repositories use GPG public/private keys to sign their packages.
The keys change from time to time, and you have to run the above command to get the new keys. Having the current public keys allows your machine to verify that the packages it downloads are authentic.

Thanks for the help but if that were true, it would seem logical that the new keys that I need would be distributed through the update manager, right?

I got a lot of 404 errors during the 'apt-get update' and Kmail is still marked as unauthenticated. Are the servers down today?

oldos2er
April 23rd, 2009, 07:27 PM
"Has the support for 7.10 ran out"

Yes.

BertP
April 23rd, 2009, 07:41 PM
"Has the support for 7.10 ran out"

Yes.

and is that the reason for my authentication errors? are they going to take the repositories anytime soon (or have they already? :icon_frown:))

My computer is relatively powerful yet when I repeatedly tried to upgrade to version 8 the install died every time. I don't feel like fighting like that with 9 if it is just not going to work eventually..... I guess it might be time to go back to Windows ](*,)

oldos2er
April 23rd, 2009, 08:00 PM
"and is that the reason for my authentication errors?"

Yes. See http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/