PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Ubuntu ? Kubuntu ? Xubuntu ? Mythbuntu ? (for music studio)

Malalo
April 23rd, 2009, 06:22 PM
Hi all, sorry about the possibly weird thread title but I didn't know how to express my need in few words.

I have a machine with 2 sound cards, both M-Audio (Delta DiO and Audiophile) for music recording/mixing. I tried Ubuntu-Studio recently, and I liked it, however I couldn't get everything to be functional (recording crashed).
Now with the release of 9.04, I'm considering re-installing everything. However, what *buntu variant should I install ? Is there anyone of them better suited for music creation ?

Thanks for your advice !

BDNiner
April 23rd, 2009, 06:39 PM
You would have to use ubuntu studio or at least the real time kernel. Ubuntu studio is the easiest way to install it.

Synthros
April 23rd, 2009, 06:54 PM
+1 to BDNiner. Ubuntu Studio should fit your needs.

Malalo
April 23rd, 2009, 07:01 PM
Ok....
Like I said, I tried Ubuntu Studio (installed it over a 8.04 Ubuntu installation). I always had trouble with the audio input (which worked fine in WinXP) ....
If I install Ubuntu Studio over Ubuntu 9.04, will it be different then installing it over 8.04 ?

Synthros
April 23rd, 2009, 07:10 PM
I don't know of another distro that is geared more toward media/editing like you're doing. Ubuntu Studio is geared specifically toward that kind of work, but I don't believe the 9.04 version of Ubuntu Studio has been released just yet.

Have you posted the error that you were getting here on these forums, or submit it as a bug?

Malalo
April 23rd, 2009, 07:14 PM
Have you posted the error that you were getting here on these forums, or submit it as a bug?

I have posted on the Ubuntu Studio forum, and also on the Audacity forum. No one has given me an answer yet...
I didn't think of posting here since I figured the the 2 other forums were more relevant.

BDNiner
April 23rd, 2009, 07:17 PM
You can't run any of the audio applications unless you run the real time kernel. Ubuntu Studio is regular ubuntu with the real time kernel and all the media applications.

I don't know about whether ubuntu studio can be installed over 9.04

Malalo
April 23rd, 2009, 07:20 PM
I'll check it out on the Ubuntu Studio site, then.

lkraemer
April 24th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Malalo,
You might want to check out ArtistX.

http://artistx.org/site2/

http://distrowatch.com
Then select ArtistX as the Distribution in the center of the screen under
News Filtering Options in place of Distributions. It's a Pulldown Menu.

Good Luck.

lkraemer

Malalo
April 24th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Malalo,
You might want to check out ArtistX.

Very interesting, thank you for this ! I'll check it out.