PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] no sound/video on computer/in skype...please help

stppnwlfn
April 23rd, 2009, 05:22 PM
hello,
i am a quite new ubuntu 8.10 user but read a lot about it...so everything worked perfect until i tried skype...first i had sound, but now i dont have any sound and no microphone...although my laptop (hp compaq nx6325) should have it. also the video doesnt work in skype although in ekiga it works perfectly...(its one usb connected webcam)
i have read about the problems that are common with the hp and the sound (sb), but somehow i could not fix it. i tried to download one asa driver, but when i try to install it it says "no such directory found".
i am really a little bit clumsy with these things and since i changed some sound settings (i tried all possible ways when i click on the sound symbol) it doesnt work at all anymore....before i at least heard some noise in the sound test. now i put everything like it was in the beginning and still no sound....
if anyone has an advice for me, would be so perfect!
thanks!

stppnwlfn
April 23rd, 2009, 05:35 PM
hello again....now i have tried this:

sudo killall pulseaudio
sudo alsa force-reload

and after:

alsamixer -Dhw

to change my settings.

the playback sound is back, but my micro still doesnt work....and the skype testcall doesnt connect...i have no clue why.

the video is still not working...i idea what to do about that...
regards!

stppnwlfn
April 24th, 2009, 01:11 AM
hello.
it is strange. i set my micro (settings of volume control to prefence "digital") the micro seems to work but is always mute.
when i change it to unmute and close the next time that i open its mute again and i cant hear anything in the micro test (of course because its mute)
but when i leave the volume control open (on unmute) and make the micro test it works....as soon as i close its mute again.
my video still doesnt work in skype...like i said in the ekiga softphone it works normally...but in skype its a grey line....why?
please help

Aq32
April 26th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Hi,
I recently installed Jaunty and had the same problem. I use the nx6325 too so I know this worked for me.

Open a terminal and enter

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

This should give you a text file with (amongst other things) these lines:

options snd-usb-audio index=-2
options snd-usb-usx2y index=-2

If you add the line:

options snd-hda-intel model=hp position_fix=1 enable=yes
to the end then it should work with a restart.

Good luck!

eju
April 28th, 2009, 05:46 PM
I had the same problem on IBM thinkpad R50e.
Now I installed ubuntu 9.04 but the problem still the same as 8.10
I did your suggestion but it's not working.

dragos_iliescu_2005
April 28th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Take a look here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6589810
It work for me on a Compaq 6715.