PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu won't detect my camera

st4
April 23rd, 2009, 05:13 PM
What should I do:confused:

Godly
April 23rd, 2009, 05:17 PM
I would suggest posting some spces. What kind of camera, what distro you're using, and vefify your camera is compatible with linux.

CRIMPS
April 23rd, 2009, 05:18 PM
Can you give us more information? What kind of camera? What version of Ubuntu are you running? The more you provide, the more we have to work with to help you.

st4
April 23rd, 2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the replies, it's one of these. (http://www.ecamerafilms.com/Waterproof_Digital_Camera_p/dc1131.htm)

It doesn't say anywhere in the instructions that it's compatible with linux, tho. Just windows and Mac.:(

st4
April 23rd, 2009, 05:28 PM
Oh and I'm running Ubuntu 8.10.

st4
April 23rd, 2009, 05:29 PM
I've installed gtkam but still no luck.

st4
April 23rd, 2009, 05:56 PM
Will this work, (http://www.linux.com/feature/34681) if i buy a card reader? And what do you do, just plug your camera into the card reader?

CRIMPS
April 23rd, 2009, 07:34 PM
yeah, a solid card reader is the way to go. Nice find!

anewguy
April 23rd, 2009, 07:58 PM
With your camera plugged in to a USB port, do the following and then copy the results back to a post here:

lsusb <press enter>

sudo lsusb <press enter>

There were some changes starting back at 8.04 on how some of the permissions are handled, and in particular who "owns" a USB file system from a device such as a camera. These are not the permissions you see on files, but rather are set via the udev rules files. While I don't know if it will be the case with your camera or not, some have been getting mounted as owned by root - hence why I'd like both outputs above. It's been a while since I worked around that, so I really don't remember if it gives a permissions error or just doesn't think the device exists unless you are root.

We'll see after you post the results.

Dave :)

Godly
April 23rd, 2009, 11:20 PM
Once you've verifed the card reader works, let us know. Thanks!

st4
April 24th, 2009, 02:01 PM
With your camera plugged in to a USB port, do the following and then copy the results back to a post here:

lsusb <press enter>

sudo lsusb <press enter>

There were some changes starting back at 8.04 on how some of the permissions are handled, and in particular who "owns" a USB file system from a device such as a camera. These are not the permissions you see on files, but rather are set via the udev rules files. While I don't know if it will be the case with your camera or not, some have been getting mounted as owned by root - hence why I'd like both outputs above. It's been a while since I worked around that, so I really don't remember if it gives a permissions error or just doesn't think the device exists unless you are root.

We'll see after you post the results.

Dave :)These are the rsults I got with those commands,

bill@bill-desktop:~$
bill@bill-desktop:~$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 05e1:0b02 Syntek Semiconductor Co., Ltd
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 041e:3f07 Creative Technology, Ltd
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
bill@bill-desktop:~$ sudo
usage: sudo -h | -K | -k | -L | -l | -V | -v
usage: sudo [-bEHPS] [-p prompt] [-u username|#uid] [VAR=value]
{-i | -s | <command>}
usage: sudo -e [-S] [-p prompt] [-u username|#uid] file ...
bill@bill-desktop:~$ lsusb

st4
April 24th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Once you've verifed the card reader works, let us know. Thanks!I will, will this work? (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380116746721#ebayphotohosting)

st4
April 24th, 2009, 02:38 PM
To answer my own ?, I don't think the reader I posted above will work. that's a UDMA card reader, and I need an SD reader. So I got this one (http://www.amazon.com/Memory-Card-Reader-USB-2-0/dp/B000R4J1G8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1240579652&sr=1-1) from amazon. I hope it works with linux suystems. It doesn't say tho, just Windows and Macs.