PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrading to 9 with CD

tim1970
April 23rd, 2009, 04:43 PM
I was reading the upgrading instructions and it said to download the alternate CD, if I am upgrading a machine not connected to the internet. Where do I find the alternate version? Can I Just use the liveCD version of 9.04 instead?

Penguin Guy
April 23rd, 2009, 04:46 PM
I don't think live CD will work; if it's a laptop, go to an internet cafe and try and use the internet to upgrade. Otherwise I'm not sure.

Peter09
April 23rd, 2009, 04:47 PM
The alternate version is used for systems with low specifications or those that do not have a very good graphical interface. The major difference is that it does a text based install and does not run the Live system prior to installing. Assuming you have a standard system, the LiveCD should be fine.

tim1970
April 23rd, 2009, 04:49 PM
The alternate version is used for systems with low specifications or those that do not have a very good graphical interface. The major difference is that it does a text based install and does not run the Live system prior to installing. Assuming you have a standard system, the LiveCD should be fine.

That is what I was thinking. It is just strange the the following:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

shows to use the alternate version.

Tim

SpenceMakesSense
April 23rd, 2009, 05:27 PM
What you were told is correct though. IF you use the alt cd you can upgrade just by running the alt cd while in ubuntu. And by doing that you can keep your files.