PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_mobile] Netbook Remix on an Older Laptop

dcunited
April 23rd, 2009, 03:51 PM
My current laptop is a Pentium 4 which has not kept up with the progress to faster computers. Would Netbook Remix be a viable option to have a quicker machine without all the extra features? My understanding is that Atom is a basic X86 architecture which means that it should theoretically work, any advice?

MysticGold04
April 23rd, 2009, 03:53 PM
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Try it out and see, you've definately got nothing to lose!

James_Lochhead
April 23rd, 2009, 03:56 PM
My current laptop is a Pentium 4 which has not kept up with the progress to faster computers. Would Netbook Remix be a viable option to have a quicker machine without all the extra features? My understanding is that Atom is a basic X86 architecture which means that it should theoretically work, any advice?

Ubuntu Netbook Remix is a few extra packages on top of normal Ubuntu (there is only one atom specific one). I honestly do not see how it would help (just more stuff to load) but it should work.

dcunited
April 23rd, 2009, 03:58 PM
Ubuntu Netbook Remix is a few extra packages on top of normal Ubuntu (there is only one atom specific one). I honestly do not see how it would help (just more stuff to load) but it should work.

In the reports I have read it sounded like they cut it back a little or changed some of the defaults to add performance. What has actually been changed in it?

HankB
April 23rd, 2009, 05:08 PM
Xubuntu might be a better choice. It uses a lighter weight desktop (XFCE) than Gnome. I've used it on an Acer Aspire One with 512MB RAM and a 4GB SSD and no swap and it was fine.

-hank