PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] JAVA is hideous! Help?

Roslyn
April 23rd, 2009, 01:31 PM
Hi, I am very new to UBUNTU and am rocking 9.04 at the moment.

My only issue is that java applets are, um, hideously ugly. It's rare I compare anything to Windows and say it looks nicer over there, but they really are cripplingly nasty looking for me. (This is with Iced Tea I think it is, or SUN, some combination thereof I imagine, in Opera.)

If anyone could provide help, I'd be most grateful. I use the Digi-Chat applet a lot, and if it can't get any cleaner looking, I may have to wait on UBUNTU.

And as a Mac user forced onto a PC laptop, I really, really hate Windows.

Oh, is there any way to get rid of the big ! that Java throws up on their applets now?

James_Lochhead
April 23rd, 2009, 01:34 PM
You have two real choices. You can use the sun-java-plugin or the IcedTea plugin. In my experince the sun-java-plugin looks nicer. Just uninstall Icedtea and install the sun one. You can change back easily if necessary.

In the jaunty the package is called sun-java6-plugin.

Roslyn
April 23rd, 2009, 01:45 PM
I'll try. I don't think it went so well last time I did, but I'll see what I can do. Thanks!

Roslyn
April 23rd, 2009, 04:09 PM
Well, I got SUN Java installed and working for Opera (Firefox is another story) using the manual install.

Still fugly compared to Windows (as much as it hurts to say that) but better. I guess I'll hope someone takes LINUX java seriously some day.

One question, when I open my applet now, a massive triangle on the right informs me that it's an applet. (Thanks.) Any way to disable that?

Any help appreciated!

mc4100
April 23rd, 2009, 04:55 PM
Well, I got SUN Java installed and working for Opera (Firefox is another story) using the manual install.
The "sun-java[whatever-version]-plugin" package should work with Firefox, is it installed?