PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Nvidia binary drivers problem with dual monitors

novice buntu
April 23rd, 2009, 01:05 PM
Hi,

Dell Precision T4500; nvida Quadro FX 570, Ubuntu 8.10, 2.6.27-11-generic

I have cocked up my machine and need some help if anyone can.

All was well, after the initial install my 2 monitors worked fine. I had a huge desktop spanning both.

Months later I wanted to rotate one of the monitors so it looked more portrait than landscape - 1200 x 1920 as opposed to the usual 1920 wide and 1200 height. I saw an article on how to do this and it referred me to the Binary Hardware drivers install at

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia

I could not get the divers to activate. I have got all the necessary headers installed but it just didn't happen. I think at this point I need to 'fess up and say I installed the Nvida linux drivers as well. I did re-install my kernel and headers to try and remove the Nvidia or anything else I might have cocked up.

The bottom line is now my machine doesn't see both monitors, it just mirrors them. I still can't get the drivers to activate despite my best efforts. I'd just like to get back to my old config.

Here's the current x11.conf which I know is missing a stuff.

Section "Monitor"

Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"

Identifier "Default Screen"

Monitor "Configured Monitor"

Device "Configured Video Device"

SubSection "Display"

Virtual 3840 1200

EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Device"

Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Is there some routine/apps I can run that might sort this problem out. I'm pretty green with X11, I think there should be another screen/monitor in the conf above but I'm not sure how and he back-ups are not telling me much.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanx.
Dp.