PDA

View Full Version : [other] recovering data after crash

BoneSaw
April 23rd, 2009, 04:22 AM
okay so my dad's dell had a bsod, i told him to restart and he gets a no boot device error. now when he tries to boot i can hear the drive try and read but the bios doesnt have the hdd listed anywhere. i booted from the xubuntu cd and the partitioner said no hdd's.

now obviously the drive is hosed, ive convinced my dad a new hdd is needed, but before i pay anyone else to try and recover the data, is there anything i can do?

the aforementioned computer was running xp, is ide. my laptop is sata so i cant try it in here i have a desktop that is ide i could throw it into. the desktop is currently running ubuntu (could run xp, but would be a hassle to re-install.)

any ideas?

cariboo
April 23rd, 2009, 05:15 AM
If the BIOS isn't detecting the drive, you may be out of luck. The only thing I can suggest is to stick the drive in the freezer and let it sit for a couple of hours, then reconnect it to see if it is recognized. I would not get my hopes up, as you have to put the drive back in the case in order to get at the data which causes the drive to heat up faster than if you could keep it external and sitting between a couple of ice packs.