PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How good is ATI dual monitor support with Compiz/kwin4?

monstermunch
April 22nd, 2009, 10:17 PM
Hi,

I'm looking for a new graphics card and I'm stuck at the nvidia versus ATI decision. I've been using nvidia for the last few years as getting decent drivers working used to be easier with nvidia. However, at the moment, ATI is better for price and power consumption.

My main use of Linux is internet/email/programming in KDE4, I want to use kwin4 with effects (e.g. wobbly windows, desktop cube) and watch videos (e.g. DVD, HD, youtube). It would be nice to have the option to play 3D games in Linux, but I've never really does this. I also want to run dual monitors from one card as an extended desktop. Nvidia twinview has made this very easy in the past.

So, how is ATI looking for supporting the above activities? I was looking at getting a Radeon HD 4850 and want to know if I can expect any problems. What's difficult to set up? Are there any limitations? How does ATI drivers compare to nvidia?

Thanks.

monstermunch
April 23rd, 2009, 07:45 PM
Nobody?

zeealpal
May 4th, 2009, 10:17 AM
well i got a 4850 and installed the drivers form the ati website. All special effects work fine, and so did the second monitor i attached