PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dell 2209WA problem

italianguy
April 22nd, 2009, 07:44 PM
Hi everybody! I'm new to this forum.
I'm opening this thread because I have a problem: I've just bought a new monitor, a Dell 2209 WA but unfortunately I can't make it work on Ubuntu. When I start Ubuntu I got a message error that tells me to fix the resolution and the hz. I unmounted my monitor and I mounted back my old monitor to fix the resolution. Unfortunately that won't make it start anyway. What can I do?

Thank you!

P.S. I am so sorry for speaking so bad. :(

ajgreeny
April 22nd, 2009, 08:16 PM
First try starting in recovery mode from the grubmenu and choose xfix when you see the options menu appear. This should detect your new monitor. If it does not work, you may need to edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file manually with the right data for your screen in the pattern of my xorg.conf file. My original xorg.conf had almost nothing in it, just lines with "Configured device" so I added my screens resolution and refresh values found in the specs of the monitor. The format needs to be in this form:-

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
HorizSync 30-80
VertRefresh 50-75
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Modes "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768" "832x624" "800x600" "720x400" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSectionNote: I have ommitted all the un-necessary info at the top of the file for clarity's sake.
I hope this will help you. Use
gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to edit the file, but do a backup first, just in case. Save the file then try restarting the machine, and hopefully-----. Good luck.

ajgreeny
April 22nd, 2009, 11:53 PM
I'm new user from here
So what are we supposed to do about it?

italianguy
April 23rd, 2009, 09:55 PM
Thank you ajgreeny! I solved the problem. I just needed to choose xfix in recovery mode. Guess it was easier than I thought. Thanks again.