PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading UBUNUT using CD?

ravi_buz
April 22nd, 2009, 03:56 PM
I have ubuntu 8.04 installed and i have ubuntu 8.10 in a cd , Can i upgrade my ubuntu using the CD instead of downloading the update

leonardo_neo
April 22nd, 2009, 05:46 PM
I have ubuntu 8.04 installed and i have ubuntu 8.10 in a cd , Can i upgrade my ubuntu using the CD instead of downloading the update

If you have a separate /home partition, then you can do a fresh install, and documents in your /home folders will remain intact.

slakkie
April 22nd, 2009, 05:50 PM
You could use the following approach, but that requires the alternate CD and not the live cd people normally have.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IntrepidUpgrades#Upgrading%20Using%20the%20Alterna te%20CD/DVD

Good luck. I think upgrading via do-release-upgrade works better, because you will need to upgrade your machine straight after the initial upgrade via CD. Upgrading via apt does not require an additional upgrade.

slakkie
April 22nd, 2009, 05:51 PM
If you have a separate /home partition, then you can do a fresh install, and documents in your /home folders will remain intact.

This is not really an answer to his/her question, now is it?

leonardo_neo
April 22nd, 2009, 06:08 PM
This is not really an answer to his/her question, now is it?

Suggesting the best possible solution should be the approach. If you wish to stick to what is asked by the questioner 'strictly', then suggestion of using "alternate CD" also doesn't qualify that criteria.

Anyway, very less information was given in the question, and I suggested the best possible I could with all my goodwills.

cubeist
April 22nd, 2009, 06:16 PM
I think you can put the cd in the drive, then open software sources (in the system/admin menu) and add the cd to the sources, then run the update manager and you should have the option to upgrade to a new release.

I have never tried this, but I have seen other posts similar to this method.