PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Fresh Intrepid Install - dpkg not working

dejay703
April 22nd, 2009, 02:02 AM
Hi guys,

I just installed Intrepid (64 bit) on my newly built machine. Install went over fine, and everything seemed to be working.

I installed the proprietary drivers for my NVidia card, restarted, and still everything worked.

Now anything I try to install seems to go through (program works afterwards), but the end of the command prompt always ends with error. Even if I try to install an already installed package I get an error. I attached the output I get when running

sudo apt-get install gedit

Any ideas? I have also tried to run

sudo dpkg --configure -a
but that also gives a bunch of errors. I would attach the output, but for some reason the usual redirection ">" did not work.

Any ideas? This is the first time I've done an install of Ubuntu not on top of a current windows install, so I used the "Guided" method, mainly because I was too lazy to figure out how to set up the partitions. Could this have screwed it up?

night_fox
April 22nd, 2009, 02:08 AM
could you try running dpkg from the recovery mode?

dejay703
April 22nd, 2009, 02:28 AM
Just tried, and still get a ton of warnings (much of the same). I saw though that it said it couldn't download a package from the security repository, but I haven't made any changes to my sources.list since the install... any other way to debug?

btw, thanks for the quick reply :)

dejay703
April 22nd, 2009, 03:51 AM
I gave up, reinstalled, and now everything is working. Thanks for the help anyway!