PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Computer freezes on bootup

skaught78
April 22nd, 2009, 12:35 AM
Hello everyone. I downloaded Ubuntu, and burned it to a CD, checked everything and the disk appears to be ok. When I put the disk in the cd drive and restart the computer it boots to the installation disk and when I click on "Install ubuntu", the computer freezes. Any help?

upchucky
April 22nd, 2009, 12:54 AM
make sure you have the Live bootable version.

boot the pc with it, this means to boot but not do an actual install, if the pc boots up to a graphical display, then the actual install will work.

there is also an alternate live cd that can be used to boot if a particular machine has trouble booting to a graphical display.

there are instances where an actual install seems to fail even after proving the display worked just by booting with the live cd, when this happens there are a couple of files that need to be edited. this can be gone into later if needed.

skaught78
April 22nd, 2009, 12:59 AM
make sure you have the Live bootable version.
How do I do that?

boot the pc with it, this means to boot but not do an actual install, if the pc boots up to a graphical display, then the actual install will work.
Yeah it boots up to the ubuntu install screen, but as soon as I select "Install Ubuntu" and push enter, my computer does nothing.

there is also an alternate live cd that can be used to boot if a particular machine has trouble booting to a graphical display.
I would be willing to try this. Where would I find it?

there are instances where an actual install seems to fail even after proving the display worked just by booting with the live cd, when this happens there are a couple of files that need to be edited. this can be gone into later if needed.

That may be an option if nothing else works :)

upchucky
April 22nd, 2009, 01:04 AM
google ubuntu live cd, and ubuntu alternate cd

it seems that the cd you have is only an install cd, the live cd is a great way to see if your hardware is compatible

skaught78
April 22nd, 2009, 01:11 AM
Ok, im sure I have the live bootable cd. I'm going to try to re-download and burn the cd and try it all from scratch. I'll come back if it still doesn't work.

skaught78
April 22nd, 2009, 01:14 AM
Actually I did get ubuntu to install from within windows and it worked fine. The problem that I heard can arise with that is that when it is done that way, ubuntu will only run on top of windows. I want both Windows and ubuntu, but I want them to run completely independantly from each other. Should I try to install it from the boot up? Or is it ok to install it from within Windows?