PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Strange Problem with grub

pi.theta
April 21st, 2009, 07:40 PM
i have windows xp along with ubuntu 8.10 installed. Today i had a problem with the display in xp, after some troublesome amount of experimentation, i finally reinstalled it. That caused an overwrite in the mbr ( where grub was initially stored). Now grub is not getting installed anywhere nor is ubuntu getting booted.

when booting with a grub cd (which i made following instructions in the grub gnu manual), and giving the kernel parameters for booting i get the error:

Bad filename (must be absolute pathname or blocklist)

and on typing

setup (hd0)
it also gives some block error

on command line in live cd (ubuntu 8.10) i get the following errors
oot@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# grub-install /dev/hda
Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.
/dev/hda: Not found or not a block device.
root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# grub-install /dev/hd0
/dev/hd0: Not found or not a block device.
root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# grub-install /dev/sda
Could not find device for /boot: Not found or not a block device.
root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# grub-install /dev/sda5
root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# grub-install /dev/sda6
root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu#

thanks for any help in advance

ajgreeny
April 21st, 2009, 07:52 PM
Using the live ubuntu CD can we see the output of sudo fdisk -l please, just to check that you have not overwritten your ubuntu install. If it really is still there, again using the live CD follow these steps:-
open a terminal and run :

sudo grub
This gets you to a simple grub command line.
Then:

find /boot/grub/stage1
This will tell you where your /boot/grub/stage1 is which is needed to boot ubuntu. If you have more than one linux install you may get more than one answer here. Use the one from which you want to use grub. Replace the question marks in the following command with the output of the this last command :

root (hd?,?)
[like : root (hd0,1) ,probably]
then:

setup (hd0)
This is where your windows partition and MBR normally is, but if you want grub on another disk, use hd1, etc as appropriate. It's much easier to use the windows MBR and then just change the default boot system later if others in the family demand windows boots by default.
Then:

quit
Finally reboot, and hopefully you will now have a working grub bootloader. If not come back again for more help.

ronparent
April 21st, 2009, 07:58 PM
To keep things as simple as possible, your action with windows had merely overwritten the mbr. All the grub files are probably intact where they originally were. They can be restore to their original state by these actions:

1 - boot from a live cd

2 - start a terminal session

3 - Type the command - grub

4 - From the grub prompt (grub >) type - find /boot/grub/stage1

5 - Also from the grub prompt using the output from the above command type - root (hdx,y) ##notations from prior command

6 - Now type setup (hd0)

Your grub should now be restored to the mbr and rebooting should restore the normal grub booting action.

pi.theta
April 21st, 2009, 08:09 PM
To keep things as simple as possible, your action with windows had merely overwritten the mbr. All the grub files are probably intact where they originally were. They can be restore to their original state by these actions:

1 - boot from a live cd

2 - start a terminal session

3 - Type the command - grub

4 - From the grub prompt (grub >) type - find /boot/grub/stage1

5 - Also from the grub prompt using the output from the above command type - root (hdx,y) ##notations from prior command

6 - Now type setup (hd0)

Your grub should now be restored to the mbr and rebooting should restore the normal grub booting action.

thanks a ton
that worked!!!

but can u explain that why the same commands were not working from the grub shell when booted from a cd.
i used exactly the same commands!!

pi.theta
April 21st, 2009, 08:23 PM
Using the live ubuntu CD can we see the output of sudo fdisk -l please, just to check that you have not overwritten your ubuntu install. If it really is still there, again using the live CD follow these steps:-
open a terminal and run :

sudo grub
This gets you to a simple grub command line.
Then:

find /boot/grub/stage1
This will tell you where your /boot/grub/stage1 is which is needed to boot ubuntu. If you have more than one linux install you may get more than one answer here. Use the one from which you want to use grub. Replace the question marks in the following command with the output of the this last command :

root (hd?,?)
[like : root (hd0,1) ,probably]
then:

setup (hd0)
This is where your windows partition and MBR normally is, but if you want grub on another disk, use hd1, etc as appropriate. It's much easier to use the windows MBR and then just change the default boot system later if others in the family demand windows boots by default.
Then:

quit
Finally reboot, and hopefully you will now have a working grub bootloader. If not come back again for more help.

thanks a ton
that worked!!!

but can u explain that why the same commands were not working from the grub shell when booted from a cd.
i used exactly the same commands!!

ajgreeny
April 21st, 2009, 08:57 PM
No, sorry, I have absolutely no idea why that didn't work. I know it can work with other live CD eg Puppy linux, because I have used that in the past when a ubuntu live CD was not available, but can't help with your grub boot CD.