PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] LVPM transfer, want to get rid XP partition

soule
April 21st, 2009, 07:18 PM
Hi,

I have just installed ubuntu 8.10 on my PC via an LVPM transfer about 2 weeks ago, and I want to get rid of my XP partition (60GB) in favour to give my ubuntu partition all my space. However, as seen in the screenshot, it seems my XP partition is flagged as boot under Gparted and might get my system unbootable if i remove the XP partition. My alternate method is to wipe out my HD and install ubuntu fresh, but I have got some precious files and config i don't want to sacrifice.

Thanks, soule. (screenshot below)
http://souleiman.com/files/dev-sda_GParted.png

ajgreeny
April 21st, 2009, 08:52 PM
I believe that's because windows has to have a boot flag to do anything, whereas ubuntu will boot provided grub points to the correct partition. Don't worry about it anyway, grub can easily be restored if needed. Just make sure you delete the correct partition, and before you do anything, BACKUP.

soule
April 21st, 2009, 09:21 PM
Ok, I hope all goes well. Thanks, although I might aswell just make a fresh install. Thanks. Although should I make a super grub disk as often reccommended in situations alike mine?

ajgreeny
April 21st, 2009, 10:42 PM
I've never used supergrub, so can't really say, but I know the grub restore works and have used it a few times.

soule
April 22nd, 2009, 12:46 PM
Ok, however, do you know how to expand my unallocated space? I am left without a clue as the resize buttons are greyed and un-clickable. There's a screenshot below showing this, if it'll help.

Thanks, soule. (screenshot below)

http://souleiman.com/files/unallocated_space-forum.png

unutbu
April 22nd, 2009, 01:09 PM
Your posted image shows sda2 is mounted at /. That means you are running GParted while booted into Ubuntu using sda2. You can't modify a mounted partition like sda2, and you can't unmount it while it is running Ubuntu.

So boot the LiveCD, and run GParted from there.
Then sda2 should not be mounted, and the Resize/Move button should be usable.

soule
April 22nd, 2009, 01:58 PM
Your posted image shows sda2 is mounted at /. That means you are running GParted while booted into Ubuntu using sda2. You can't modify a mounted partition like sda2, and you can't unmount it while it is running Ubuntu.

So boot the LiveCD, and run GParted from there.
Then sda2 should not be mounted, and the Resize/Move button should be usable.

Oh yeah, forgot. Thanks. SOLVED.