PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Fan on new laptop suddenly much louder

thomasboleyn
April 21st, 2009, 05:18 PM
Hi there. Around a month ago I bought a Sony Vaio VGN-NS20S (http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/specifications/specifications.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons&c=0&s=VGN-NS&m=7291&=0&=VGN-NS&=7291) for Ģ550 ($800). I dual boot Vista ultimate and Ubuntu Jaunty RC.

The main reason I decided to replace my previous 5/6 year old Vaio was because the fan noise was really unbearable, even when the lid was closed, so you can imagine my relief at finally having a lovely quiet new laptop. Around a week ago I noticed that the fan was running very loudly (I had it on my lap at the time), so I put it down to bad ventilation on my part. Since then however, the fan has been noticeably louder than it was a month ago, which is really, really annoying. I took the casing off yesterday to have a look at the fan and there didn't seem to be any dust visible on the blades or the outlet (I'm not savvy enough to take the actual fan itself apart just yet). Annoyingly I can't find the receipt either, so I can't take it back, though I remember the attendant there saying that installing any other OS voids the warranty anyway.

Could it be that this instance of possible overheating has damaged the fan permanently? If so, what would be the best thing to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

boutch55555
April 21st, 2009, 06:05 PM
First, I highly doubt that installing an alternative OS is going to void your warranty.
Second, you probably voided your warranty around the "I took the casing off" part.
As for the fan problem, you should hava a look at this : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=238566
and / or read about lm-sensors (google keywords : ubuntu vaio fan noise / ubuntu vaio lm-sensors)

thomasboleyn
April 23rd, 2009, 01:03 PM
First, I highly doubt that installing an alternative OS is going to void your warranty.
Second, you probably voided your warranty around the "I took the casing off" part.
As for the fan problem, you should hava a look at this : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=238566
and / or read about lm-sensors (google keywords : ubuntu vaio fan noise / ubuntu vaio lm-sensors)

Thanks for the reply. I specifically remember the guy saying it would void the warranty, because he had a look of disgust in his face when I said I would be putting Linux on it after he tried to sell me Norton and MS Office. I've actually realised now that it is the hard drive making the noise, so I'm not sure how where to go from here..

Bucky Ball
April 23rd, 2009, 01:08 PM
Not sure of the laws in your country, but he canīt really do that. If it is a new laptop, it should be covered by manufacturer warranty and he canīt add clauses to that at his discretion. We have ombudsmen here. If he has a problem checking this out under warranty, I would go to your local ombudsman, if you have one, or consumer affairs department immediately.

As mentioned in a previous post, you did, of course, void the warranty when you took the case apart. But shopś not to know you did that, and you could always reload Windoze anyhow. How they gonna prove there was ever another OS on there? Maybe two can play at that game ...

thomasboleyn
April 23rd, 2009, 05:28 PM
If it is the hard drive, then why would something only a month have started being so noisy? I don't seem to have any data corruption or anything, its just that it has developed this ever so slight whirring noise that definitely wasn't there before. I believe it is a Samsung 320gb S-ATA drive but I'll check when I get home to find a specific model number. If its any help I wiped the drive using Gparted and installed a torrented version of Vista ultimate followed by Ubuntu, though I don't see how this would cause this.