PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Email Server Can't Send Email

kevin11951
April 21st, 2009, 03:29 PM
I setup an email server for a testing environment (so it dosent matter if this ends up badly :))

The problem is that i cant send any emails from it, i can receive them, but not send, when i send it i get this error
connect to alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[72.14.253.27]:25: Connection timed out (for gmail in this case)

not sure how to fix this.

Its the default "tasksel" email stack (postfix and dovecot).

Also, i am very new to email servers.

Dr Small
April 21st, 2009, 03:47 PM
Can you telnet to it?

telnet alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com 25

Also, do you have a FQDN?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fully_qualified_domain_name

Dr Small

HermanAB
April 21st, 2009, 04:29 PM
Most newbie email server problems are due to a misconfigured hostname and DNS. You *must* have a FQDN, A, PTR and MX records. Get your network configured correctly and the trouble will likely go away.

kevin11951
April 21st, 2009, 05:02 PM
Yes, i have a FQDN, its kviero.com, and its in the hosts file.

The mx records on godaddy's (my domin registrar) side are all set to my external ip, that includes smtp.* imap.* pop.* mail.* etc... and to top it all off, my router is set to dmz the servers internal ip.

i know i am over looking something simple.

(also, im not sure if you meant it that way, but "newbie" has a very negative meaning to it, for me)

kevin11951
April 21st, 2009, 05:19 PM
How do you setup a FQDN? this is my hosts file, is it right?

127.0.0.1 kviero.com localhost
127.0.1.1 kviero.com Kviero-64

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

ephmanjmm
April 21st, 2009, 05:21 PM
I am not getting any info about an mx record when I dig mx kviero.com. nslookup responds with no answer for the mx record.

kevin11951
April 21st, 2009, 05:30 PM
I am not getting any info about an mx record when I dig mx kviero.com. nslookup responds with no answer for the mx record.

does anyone here have any experience setting up an email server with a godaddy domain name?

Dr Small
April 21st, 2009, 06:38 PM
Well, let's sort things out in order.

Your first problem of Connection timed out. Try telneting like I showed, to see if it telnets properly. If so, we can move on.

Also, please post the output of this:

sudo postconf -n

kevin11951
April 21st, 2009, 07:08 PM
Well, let's sort things out in order.

Your first problem of Connection timed out. Try telneting like I showed, to see if it telnets properly. If so, we can move on.

Also, please post the output of this:

sudo postconf -n

telnet didn't work, but a ping did...

output of above:

alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
append_dot_mydomain = no
biff = no
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
config_directory = /etc/postfix
home_mailbox = Maildir/
inet_protocols = all
mailbox_command =
mailbox_size_limit = 0
mydestination = kviero.com, Kviero-64.gateway.2wire.net, localhost.gateway.2wire.net, localhost
myhostname = kviero.com
myorigin = /etc/mailname
readme_directory = no
recipient_delimiter = +
smtp_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${data_directory}/smtp_scache
smtp_use_tls = yes
smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (Ubuntu)
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_unknown_sender_domain reject_unknown_recipient_domain reject_unauth_pipelining permit_mynetworks permit_sasl_authenticated reject_unauth_destination permit_inet_interfaces
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_authenticated_header = yes
smtpd_sasl_local_domain = $myhostname
smtpd_sasl_path = private/dovecot-auth
smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
smtpd_sender_restrictions = reject_unknown_sender_domain
smtpd_tls_auth_only = yes
smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/ssl-mail.pem
smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/ssl/private/ssl-mail.key
smtpd_tls_mandatory_ciphers = medium, high
smtpd_tls_mandatory_protocols = SSLv3, TLSv1
smtpd_tls_received_header = yes
smtpd_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${data_directory}/smtpd_scache
smtpd_use_tls = yes
tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom

HermanAB
April 21st, 2009, 07:28 PM
Everybody is a newbie at some point. No offense meant.

Your MX record doesn't resolve for kviero.com:

$ dig kviero.com MX
...ANSWER 0...

Setting it up in GoDaddy should be straight forward. I created a new domain just last night, but I don't have my account details where I am now, so I cannot have a look at what I did.

Anyhoo, if you still haven't gotten it working by tonight, send me a private message and I'll send you a screen capture of my GoDaddy configuration.

kevin11951
April 21st, 2009, 07:37 PM
Everybody is a newbie at some point. No offense meant.

Your MX record doesn't resolve for kviero.com:

$ dig kviero.com MX
...ANSWER 0...

Setting it up in GoDaddy should be straight forward. I created a new domain just last night, but I don't have my account details where I am now, so I cannot have a look at what I did.

Anyhoo, if you still haven't gotten it working by tonight, send me a private message and I'll send you a screen capture of my GoDaddy configuration.

the problem is i have no idea what to put in the mx records... i know my ip, and thats it.

wsonar
April 21st, 2009, 07:54 PM
I use easydns
Created two a records one for my domain name and one for my mailserver name both pointing to the same ip
then they had a section labled I want to specify my own mail server where I put my mail server name which is essentially my MX record

I also had to call my ISP and have them create a ptr record to my domain otherwise places like live.com would reject me

kevin11951
April 21st, 2009, 08:24 PM
a screen shot of my dns records (all sensitive data removed):

Spikerok
April 22nd, 2009, 03:18 PM
thats cnames you have their my friend..

Type Name Data
MX domain.com. mail.domain.com.

basicly change mail to type MX

kevin11951
October 12th, 2009, 12:29 AM
I use easydns
Created two a records one for my domain name and one for my mailserver name both pointing to the same ip
then they had a section labled I want to specify my own mail server where I put my mail server name which is essentially my MX record

I also had to call my ISP and have them create a ptr record to my domain otherwise places like live.com would reject me

your isp? or your domain registrar?

rnodal
October 13th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Dr Small is right. Your connection to gmail is timing out.
That has nothing to do with DNS. Your email server is trying to deliver email via port 25 and if gmail does not accept email via that port (which would be weird) then you are wasting your time. The only consequences of not having the DNS MX record setup correctly is that google will not(may not) accept your email.

If you telnet google to port 25 and it does not work then there is your answer.

-r

rnodal
October 13th, 2009, 04:28 PM
your isp? or your domain registrar?

Where is your server? At home or is it a virtual(or real) dedicated server?
If it is a server at home then your ISP may be the reason for all this problems. Most ISP block outgoing email from their network and that will explain why your connection to gmail is timing out.

-r