PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help! Lots of errors after forcing shutdown!

errormessage
April 21st, 2009, 02:50 AM
Well, Ubuntu just froze up in fullscreen mode while watching a youtube video. I had to force my system to shutdown. When it started up, I noticed a red circle with a white line through the middle in my system tray, so I right-clicked on it, to my surprise, it was the system update tool! I then clicked on "install all updates", typed in my system password and got the following error:
E: Unable to parse package file /var/lib/dpkg/status (1)
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

Please help, and I also get the following error when opening add/remove applications
Failed to check for installed and available applications
This is a major failure of your software management system. Please check for broken packages with synaptic, check the file permissions and correctness of the file '/etc/apt/sources.list' and reload the software information with: 'sudo apt-get update' and 'sudo apt-get install -f'.

Thanks!

Partyboi2
April 21st, 2009, 03:58 AM
Open a terminal and try what it suggests

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -f
If that does not work you may need to replace the status file.

sudo cp /var/lib/dpkg/status /var/lib/dpkg/status.broke
sudo cp /var/lib/dpkg/status-old /var/lib/dpkg/status

errormessage
April 21st, 2009, 08:51 PM
OMG thank you very much! Im still getting new to ubuntu, but now add/remove apps AND system update works. =)

EDIT: Rebooted pc, tried to install updates and got another error, same for when I tried to install another program.
Wow I'm having no luck with ubuntu!

Plz help. It doesn't have a error log. I just says "Not all changes or updates succeeded" after install

errormessage
April 21st, 2009, 10:14 PM
Plz help, I need to install a program to do some work but I am unable to due to errors. Thanks

Partyboi2
April 21st, 2009, 11:48 PM
Open a terminal and post the output to

sudo dpkg --configure -a

upchucky
April 22nd, 2009, 12:07 AM
if in future, you have a window that freezes, or seems non responsive,

press ALT and F2

type xkill in the box that pops up

then click on the non responsive window.