PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Minimise button looses stuff

mike4sailing
April 21st, 2009, 02:22 AM
Hi I am a new Ubuntu user

so this is my first thread

and when I minimise any program using the minimise button at the top right, my program seems to disappear? Into computer land somewhere?. So I have to start up a new window each time. Can you help me to fix this please many thanks

skierkyles
April 21st, 2009, 05:35 AM
Did you accidentally delete your "Window list" perhaps?

Try adding another one by doing...

Right click on panel - Add to Panel - then drag down a window list thing.

mike4sailing
April 21st, 2009, 06:40 AM
thanks: I can add a new panel OK, but I can't see the windows list thing? I can see the add widgets, but that does not seem to help. I will keep trying, any more suggestions?

Lunx
April 21st, 2009, 06:46 AM
thanks: I can add a new panel OK, but I can't see the windows list thing? I can see the add widgets, but that does not seem to help. I will keep trying, any more suggestions?

You should be able to simple right click the panel and then right down near the bottom of the list is an entry for Window Selector which will list what windows are open (you need to click the icon, doesn't show the list just by hovering over with mouse).

mike4sailing
April 21st, 2009, 07:17 AM
On right clicking Panel, my list does not come up with Window Selector near the bottom of the list, but that would be really helpful if I could restore that.

On my list all I can see is: Add Widgets, Add Panel, Lock Widgets, Panel Settings, and Remove this Panel. (But no Windows Selector?)
How do I find the Windows Selector? thanks.

Lunx
April 21st, 2009, 08:10 AM
On right clicking Panel, my list does not come up with Window Selector near the bottom of the list, but that would be really helpful if I could restore that.

On my list all I can see is: Add Widgets, Add Panel, Lock Widgets, Panel Settings, and Remove this Panel. (But no Windows Selector?)
How do I find the Windows Selector? thanks.

Sorry mate, my poor wording causing confusion. Click it again and select the Add Widgets option and on the list that will appear in a new window, you'll see the Window Selector listed there. Hope that clears it up

Lunx
April 21st, 2009, 08:16 AM
And mike4sailing, I just noticed your location LOL, not too far from me (but I am on the coast). Perhaps you may be interested in a forum run by the ABC, it deals with all things technical and computery, rather than purely Linux and OSS. I visit regularly when I have dramas (quite a few Linux users there now as well)

http://www2b.abc.net.au/science/techtalk/

mike4sailing
April 22nd, 2009, 03:57 AM
Hi I Just found the lost stuff when I minimise. I did notice that I am using the latest Kubuntu system, and I am not sure if that makes a difference or not? I could not see the 'Windows Selector' in my add Widgets option.

But the good news is that I have kept trying and now added the Widget "Task Manager" where I can switch between running applications and that seems to have done the trick. So simple , but took lots of looking.

thanks to those who helped me.
see you later. :)