PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems installing Ruby on Rails

Mila
April 21st, 2009, 01:54 AM
I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 and just tried installing Ruby on Rails. I've gotten to a certain point and then everything stops working. This is what I've done so far:

sudo apt-get install ruby-full build-essential

wget http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/55066/rubygems-1.3.2.tgz
tar xzvf rubygems-1.3.2.tgz
cd rubygems-1.3.2
sudo ruby setup.rb
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/gem1.8 /usr/bin/gem

Everything works fine up until here. But when I try to install rails using RubyGems like so:

sudo gem install rails

I get the error: sudo: gems: command not found.

I have no idea what is going wrong. I haven't gotten any error messages anywhere else.

Help?

yeats
April 21st, 2009, 11:35 AM
So are you following instructions somewhere?

I'm not familiar with this particular program, but I can't help but notice that the error you've posted is different than the command:

sudo gem install rails

I get the error: sudo: gems: command not found.

Also, have you tried calling the program with the full path?:

sudo /usr/bin/gem install rails

Again - I'm not familiar with the process. If you're following a set of instructions somewhere, link to them, and perhaps someone can guide you in the right direction...

blazemore
April 21st, 2009, 12:43 PM
try

sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/gem

Mila
April 21st, 2009, 06:33 PM
The whole gem/gems thing is a typo. The actual command I typed was:

sudo gem install rails

And the error I got was: sudo: gem: command not found.

I tried to chmod like blazemore suggested and I got the error: chmod: cannot access 'usr/bin/gem': no such file or directory, which leads me to think that there was a problem installing RubyGems.

Unfortunately I really don't know any other way to go about installing RubyGems since every instruction set insists that installing via apt-get is very not recommended.

I'm following the instructions on the Ruby On Rails wiki for installing on linux here: http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/getting-started/installation/linux

Tibuda
April 21st, 2009, 06:46 PM
I could not get Rails working with the ubuntu repositories gems in neither Intrepid and Jaunty. I installed it from source too.

Do you get any message when running "sudo ruby setup.rb"?

Mila
April 21st, 2009, 06:56 PM
Nope. No errors. Just the readme.

Tibuda
April 21st, 2009, 07:00 PM
Open a terminal and type

cd /usr
find -iname gem*
It will search for files starting with "gem" in the /usr directory.

blazemore
April 21st, 2009, 08:43 PM
The command

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/gem1.8 /usr/bin/gem
Takes an existing file (/usr/bin/gem1.8) and makes a "shortcut" to it as the file /usr/bin/gem.
This means you can use the command "gem" rather than "gem1.8"

Does gem work if you use gem1.8 as a command, rather than just gem?

umuro
June 9th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Would you still have the same problems if you apply the installation steps documented in http://conceptspace.wikidot.com/rails101:basic-ruby-on-rails-installation ?

MikeFlint
September 9th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Blazemore - thanks your suggestion sorted me out :)

I am running Ubuntu 8.04 (server) so the ubuntu repository had a very old (0.9.4) gem package. After I removed that I had to install gems from setup.rb in the package and that worked, but failed to build/repair the symbolic link.

Fixing that, and rubygems was back up and running as 1.3.7.

Abonec
December 12th, 2010, 10:02 PM
I have a similar problem with ubuntu 10.10 and gem but a little different difficult:

I installed gem:
sudo apt-get install rubygems

After that I install rails and some other gems via gem:
sudo gem install rails
It seems as correctly installed.

But after that in terminal command 'rails' don't work =(
But in 'gem list' rails is correctly shown
I can't generate controller, start webserver etc because command 'rails' in not work in terminal =(

I found rails in /var/lib/gems/1.8/bin and it seems working, but rails not work in other places

Please help me