PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Suggestions for a webcam over HTTP

R.Bucky
April 20th, 2009, 10:50 PM
My wife and have a psychotic cat and want to watch him online when we are at work. I operate a web server at home with a true static ip. I want to embed the feed into a page on my LAMP box.

What is the best software/hardware combo from user experiences? Not wanting to spend a briefcase full of money on the webcam.
Suggestions?

tripolitan
April 21st, 2009, 12:09 AM
software= sudo apt-get install webcam
hardware=logitech Webcam for notebooks -not the pro version (it is Outdated but works with linux right out of the box and cheap! less than $30)

Come back if you want help with editing the configuration file .webcamrc and setting up a webpage that refreshes every so many seconds...

R.Bucky
April 21st, 2009, 12:18 AM
Excellent. This is what I was looking for. We will buy the cam in a day or so.
I'll be back!

~Mark

R.Bucky
June 5th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Wow! that was a long two days. Anyways, I finally received my QuickCam for Notebooks. It is setup on my server at http://buckycomputing.net:8888 (going to configure that later). The problem is that once I refresh the page, the image turns very dark. Here is my .webcamrc

[grab]
device = /dev/video0
text = "webcam %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"
infofile = filename
fg_red = 255
fg_green = 255
fg_blue = 255
width = 400
height = 300
delay = 3
wait = 0
norm = pal
rotate = 0
top = 0
left = 0
bottom = -1
right = -1
quality = 100
trigger = 0
once = 0

I would like to stream the images, rather than having to refresh the page everytime. What config. tags would accomplish this feat?

~Mark

tripolitan
June 10th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Sorry for the delay, I was "away" for a while. I'm not sure if you have fixed this problem or not but the .webcamrc seems to be missing a lot of lines. Is this all you have?

R.Bucky
June 10th, 2009, 06:20 PM
No worries - I was delayed in obtaining the webcam! I had the camera online using webcam-server, but as i mentioned in the previous post, it only took static images. It would not use the [ftp] tag as the software resides on my server (hosted at my home).