PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is this computer suitable for me and if not is it upgradeable?

hortstu
April 20th, 2009, 10:24 PM
I'm considering buying a refurbished laptop but I'm not to familiar with hardware.

I'm in the process of learning to use Linux but my wife isn't cool with me doing anything permanent so I've been going off a boot disc.

I use this thing for photo editing, some simple animation, internet, and ms office stuff. excel, word, outlook etc, (sorry still in the transition phase here.

This is what I've found. I'm wondering if theres any reason to avoid this computer. Like it won't do something I need it to, or it will be very slow doing it, and no hardware upgrades will get me to that point.

Thanks I'm looking forward to your input.

IBM THINKPAD T40

* Intel Pentium M 1.5 GHz Processor
* 40 GB Hard Drive
* 1280 MB RAM
* CD-RW/DVD-ROM Drive
* 14.1" Screen
* Integrated 802.11b WiFi

jeffeulogy
April 21st, 2009, 05:11 AM
avoid it like the plague unless it comes with a good warranty. i had one and loved it until the video card died. i dropped $250 on a new motherboard and all was well until the same thing happened again. apparantly the solder joints are pretty weak and over time break free and render the machine unusable. if that's been addressed somehow then go for it, it's a great laptop and will run ubuntu flawlessly.

hortstu
April 21st, 2009, 06:55 AM
apparantly the solder joints are pretty weak and over time break free and render the machine unusable. if that's been addressed somehow then go for it

Wow. You've got me thinking twice now. I doubt that anything like that has been done. Thanks for the tip.