PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] what programs are there to put music on a mp3 player?

ricdtinsley
April 20th, 2009, 09:57 PM
what programs are there to put music on a mp3 player?

theozzlives
April 20th, 2009, 09:59 PM
I believe Amarok will do it.

ugm6hr
April 20th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Depends what kind of mp3 player.

Most are simply treated like external HDs, allowing drag and drop copying in nautilus. Samsung devices are notoriously difficult with Linux...

steve101101
April 20th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Depends what kind of mp3 player.

Most are simply treated like external HDs, allowing drag and drop copying in nautilus. Samsung devices are notoriously difficult with Linux...

+1 my sansa works as an external drive if you want or you can use programs to upload music aswell. it depends on your device.

fballem
April 20th, 2009, 10:10 PM
I have used gnomad2 to transfer to two Creative Zen devices. The program has worked very well.

Therion
April 20th, 2009, 10:13 PM
GTKPod for starters: http://www.gtkpod.org/screenshots.html

Also see Rhythmbox, Amarok, Banshee and/or Songbird if you're addicted to iTunes.

steve101101
April 20th, 2009, 10:13 PM
what device are you using?

juancarlospaco
April 20th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Nautilus

lhb1142
April 20th, 2009, 10:50 PM
what programs are there to put music on a mp3 player?

:KS I own a VERY basic mp3 player, purchased from DealExtreme < http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1453 > for less than $12.00 (scroll down to the second review; that's mine). It will ONLY play mp3-format files. (It has no internal memory; rather, it uses 2 GB [maximum] SD cards, the same card you use in your digital camera, to hold the music files.)

To copy music from a CD for use on this player, I use Sound Juicer Audio CD Extractor (search for Sound Juicer in Synaptics). Generally, I save the tracks as FLAC files. These files will carry CD text and, if you wish (say you are borrowing a CD), you can use these FLAC files to burn another CD which will contain the CD texts and, as FLAC files are lossless, the copy disc will sound exactly the same as the original one. You could use this program to directly convert the files off a CD to mp3 files but I find that the way I do it, though slightly more time-consuming, works better, at least in my opinion.

So, after ripping the CD with Sound Juicer, I then use Sound Converter (search for soundconverter - not soundconvert - in Synaptics). This program lets you configure the mp3 files any way you wish. For use on my simple mp3 player, I convert the FLAC files to mp3 128 kbps (Normal) VBR; this provides quite good sound quality.

Then it's a simple matter of transferring the resultant mp3 files to your player (or, in my case, the SD card).

If you download music files in another format (OGG, WMA, or whatever) you can also use Sound Converter to change these formats to mp3 format.

By the way, I copied the entire Der Ring des Nibelungen (the Decca/Solti recording) which is on 14 CDs to my mp3 player in less than an afternoon, using the method I describe above. The final total size of the mp3 files (for over 14 hours of music) is 893 MB.

If you have any specific questions you'd like to ask me, do not hesitate to do so. ):P