PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Remix on netbooks

stevej62
April 20th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I have downloaded the UNR image file to my windows system in prearation for installing on my advent netbook. But I cant get a usb image writer to install on windows, deb file extension problems. Is what I am trying to do possible or does it need to be done from a Linux machine.

mikewhatever
April 21st, 2009, 11:33 AM
Why do you have to deal with a .deb file? The UNR image is a .img and the program to use is UNetbootin, which is available for both Ubuntu and Windows.

coffeecat
April 21st, 2009, 11:54 AM
Do you have a .deb file or a .img file? As the previous poster said, the UNR image is an .img, so if you have a .deb file, you've got something different.

Anyway, here's the Ubuntu HowTo for writing the .img to a usb stick:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MobileTeam/Mobile/HowTo/ImageWriting

Scroll down for the Windows method.

You can also write to a SD flash card if you prefer. I managed to install Jaunty UNR Beta to my Asus EeePC with one.

stevej62
April 21st, 2009, 03:10 PM
The DEb file was the USB image writer that the Ubuntu site suggests I needed in order to write the image file to the USB stick

coffeecat
April 21st, 2009, 03:14 PM
OK, understood, but do you need any further help? Did the link I posted help you get the img written to the USB stick?

snowpine
April 21st, 2009, 03:16 PM
The DEb file was the USB image writer that the Ubuntu site suggests I needed in order to write the image file to the USB stick

DEB files can only be used within Linux, not Windows.

Follow Coffeecat's link to find the Windows instructions. :)