PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Compiling the easy way, I hope

h4mx0r
April 20th, 2009, 02:02 AM
I'm sure there is probably some long winded guide on this with a lot of info but there are so many different methods of accomplishing a compile. I know when you use the install cd or what have you to get ubuntu on the machine they usually leave out a lot of developmental packages and compilers to trim down the fat for those that have less install room or a separate machine they do all the cross compiling on.

Is there a way to grab all the compile stuff? Some one fix line like apt-get install build-essential *-dev perhaps? Please any advice on recent screw ups people have had when trying to custom compile their own apps would be helpful. I know there is also cmake that is sometime used and module-assistant. What about compilers? Difference between mawk and gawk?

The reason I'm doing this is I have an app I'm going to use with many various config files and I'd like to stay up to date with its changelog watching out for changes in the code.

ibuclaw
April 20th, 2009, 02:14 AM
If you are compiling a newer version of a package that is already in the repos, ensure to check the 'source code' box in 'System->Administration->Software Sources' and type in

sudo apt-get build-dep packagename

Else, be sure to read the INSTALL or README text files that come with the tarballs, they should provide a list of all library dependencies, to which you search for the packagename-dev package and install those as needed.

To make the package:

./configure && make
To install:

sudo make install

Although some people swear to using tools such as checkinstall to make a pseudo-automated debian format package to allow uninstalling the software through any conventional package manager.

Regards
Iain

oldos2er
April 20th, 2009, 02:27 AM
sudo apt-get install build-essential
will give you gcc.