PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ignorant Ubuntu user

Jonnybruns000
April 20th, 2009, 12:00 AM
The point of this is for the new user who is completely ignorant to how linux works and has grown up using mac/windows
If you add to this PLEASE be as detailed as possible.
We want new users to have some type of guide to go to that they can understand and not feel overwhelmed, become frustrated and abandon Ubuntu for windows/mac.

UPDATE SYSTEM FIRST!

whenever I put a command to be entered such as, "sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts" I mean to go to Applications>accesories>terminal
you can copy and paste and press enter

JAVA...

this installs java:
"sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts"

then to make videos show up on youtube and such it is:

"http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/thankyou/?installer=Flash_Player_10_for_Linux_(.deb)"

there will be this orange lit up arrow pointing downwards that you left click on and it will bring you to update manager and press "install updates"

and there you go.
btw the videos ONLY show in the following web browsers: Firefox, Mozilla, Seamonkey

LOGIN WINDOW...

Next to customize your login window you need to have the following package:
"102731-GDM-bluehack.tar.gz"

the location of said file can be found here:
"http://rapidshare.com/files/223376692/102731-GDM-bluehack.tar.gz.html"

If that link is broken go to deviantart.com and you can find login screens made and still follow these instructions, look for the one pertaining to the cia themed login window.

Now the image file ending in .jpg is the one that determines what the image is exactly. You can modify and put another image in that one and even change it in gimp.

Now bluehack.xml (not bluehack.xml~) is the file that determines the little box that you type in your username and password. You can change the width and length of it.

To install it make sure it is on desktop (just so you know where it is)
and go to system>administration>login window
Go to local, press add and go to desktop.

skymera
April 20th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Sorry

I'm lost, is this a reply to someone's thread? Can you link?

bruce2000
April 20th, 2009, 12:40 AM
While I commend you for starting a thread to help out users new to Ubuntu, referring to them as "ignorant" is rather disrespectful, to say the least.. which is why I'm not contributing to it. (I appreciate that English may not be your first language.)

nandemonai
April 20th, 2009, 12:47 AM
There are also numerous guides already on the forums and official Ubuntu help and wiki sites for just these issues.

Jonnybruns000
April 25th, 2009, 07:30 AM
not exactly, if someone is ignorant to it
then, well they do not knonw anything about it
dissrespectual would be refering to them as ni**ers

Jonnybruns000
April 25th, 2009, 07:31 AM
The three issues were just meant to get everything started, besides I'd like to try to condense everything to one thread, if at all possible.

ninjapirate89
April 25th, 2009, 07:39 AM
not exactly, if someone is ignorant to it
then, well they do not knonw anything about it
dissrespectual would be refering to them as ni**ers

Actually that's just racist, disrespectful would be saying they are stupid. There is nothing disrespectful with the word ignorant, it just means you don't know very much about a particular topic.

Jonnybruns000
April 25th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Actually that's just racist, disrespectful would be saying they are stupid. There is nothing disrespectful with the word ignorant, it just means you don't know very much about a particular topic.

Actually, that term meant ignorant at one time, that's why they were called that, they knew nothing of the english language or what other cultures deemed civilized.

3rdalbum
April 25th, 2009, 08:41 AM
If you're starting a HOWTO for new users where you mention installing Java, then please for god's sake tell them about pressing Tab to highlight the "I Agree" button when accepting the software license terms.

psychomichael
April 25th, 2009, 02:10 PM
There are also numerous guides already on the forums and official Ubuntu help and wiki sites for just these issues.

Yeah! That's great...until you ask a question nobody wants to answer.

:popcorn:
[thread drift]
I'll also concur on the historical uses of the words the OP used. Sorta like the word "***" referred to a cigarette. These days, it's easier to offend people with silly words...wonder why?
[/thread drift]

Spiritous
April 25th, 2009, 02:17 PM
I see where this could go, though the potential is 1:900...

Sidewinder1
April 25th, 2009, 02:23 PM
"In before the Lock". :-)

LuigiAntoniol
April 25th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Yeah! That's great...until you ask a question nobody wants to answer.

:grin:. I've been very lucky then. Either that, or my issues are easily dealt with.

:popcorn:
[thread drift]
I'll also concur on the historical uses of the words the OP used. Sorta like the word "***" referred to a cigarette. These days, it's easier to offend people with silly words...wonder why?
[/thread drift]

It's a worldwide phenomenon. Keeps the courts busy and makes lawyers lots of money.

Spiritous
April 25th, 2009, 02:26 PM
:grin:. I've been very lucky then. Either that, or my issues are easily dealt with.

It's a worldwide phenomenon. Keeps the courts busy and makes lawyers lots of money.

Made my lawyers used by lawyers? Conspiracy pl0x

albinootje
April 25th, 2009, 02:28 PM
this installs java:
"sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts"

This is easier if you want additional software including java :

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

And this https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu is useful too for getting dvd playback to work, and to be able to play all kind of audio and video files.

map84
April 25th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I would prefer to install the free Java-alternative OpenJDK

sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jre openjdk-6-jre-headless openjdk-6-jre-lib icedtea6-plugin icedtea-6-jre-cacao

instead of the restricted Java version from Sun.

LuigiAntoniol
April 25th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Made my lawyers used by lawyers? Conspiracy pl0x

Well.... I wouldn't call it a conspiracy as such. More like greed on the part of law practitioners.

As for the ignorant Ubuntu user, I'm still there, but learning fast not to mess with important root files. Have already crashed my Ubuntu about 3 - 5 times since "fiddling under the hood" as it were.:lolflag:

But I live and learn.:)