PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Update problem

Autumnie88
April 19th, 2009, 09:59 PM
So, I have never used anything but Windows, so I am struggling a bit today. I have had this Dell mini for a few months and have had no problems with ubuntu. Today, I installed the updates, but there were quite a few of them and the computer went into hibernation mode or something and now it tells me there was an error while installing it. Now, I cannot even find the network option to try to get online to finish installing the updates. Anyone have any idea how I can fix this?

drs305
April 19th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Try running the following - it is one of the common error fixes.

sudo apt-get install -f

We really need to know the specific error message(s) if you can provide them.

halitech
April 19th, 2009, 10:09 PM
are you now unable to get online with the machine? maybe 1 of the updates was for the wireless (I'm guessing at this) and it has knocked out your connection.

Autumnie88
April 19th, 2009, 10:12 PM
I am assuming that is what happened, but I don't know how to fix it. I know NOTHING of ubuntu, so I don't know how to run the error code.

Monotoko
April 19th, 2009, 10:16 PM
From the top menu, you go: Applications -> Accessorys -> Terminal

A window will come up, place that code in that window

Autumnie88
April 19th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks! Got that, but now it says dpkg was interrupted you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem. Sorry if I seem like an idiot, but I have no idea what that means.

halitech
April 19th, 2009, 10:19 PM
open a terminal and type in

dpkg --configure -a

Autumnie88
April 19th, 2009, 10:20 PM
I put that in and it tells me that the requested operation requires superuser priviliges. Again, sorry if I sound like an idiot, but I have no idea how to get those priviliges.

halitech
April 19th, 2009, 10:22 PM
sorry, should have been

sudo dpkg --configure -a

Autumnie88
April 20th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Okay, so I have done all of that, and now it tells me that a package was automatically installed and needs to be removed, so I run what it tells me to, but then it tells me that it cannot resolve dell-mini.archive.anonical.com. It says it is unable to fetch some archives. Any ideas?

Jimlas53
April 20th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Go to >System >administration >software sources. Click on Third-Party Software tab. Take a look at the list for the Dell reference. I think the web address is borked, it should be
dell-mini.archive.canonical.com/
your reference is listed as dell-mini.archive.anonical.com/
Select Edit and correct the address, if this is the problem you should be able to get the repository you need.

Hope this helps!

-Doug

Autumnie88
April 20th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Unfortunately, that was just my typo. It is in there as you said it should be! Any other ideas?

halitech
April 20th, 2009, 01:53 PM
the address works for me in a web browser. what package is it saying it needs to remove?

mikechant
April 20th, 2009, 02:37 PM
You said your wireless connection was knocked out by the failed update - have you got a wired connection running instead as a temprorary measure? If not, that's probably why you're get the 'cannot resolve', 'unable to fetch' etc. messages.