PDA

View Full Version : Hi @ll

leonneku
January 5th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Hi i'm new to this forum.I'm Leon living in the Netherlands and started again with Linux.;)

Some time ago i had Suse 9.3 installed on my computer and laptop and it worked.But after a wild i got back to Windows because my computer and laptop are to slow for Suse and i didn't get all the media to work,like Streams only for media player.There is a lot of support online to find but nothing seems to work with me like it should be work.Then i tried a earlier version of Ubuntu and didn't get Java working.

Now i installed the latest version of Ubuntu wich i ordered at shippit.com.
It looks nice and it's fast enough at my old crap systems....I got one step further now,i got some older version of Java installed with Synaptic,but it isn't good enough,i need the newest Sun Version.I found the right version but it won't install on my computer.I think a problem for me is that i don't understand nothing about linux and do litlle simple things wrong wich are not minded in the online faq's.

This time i don't wan't the same dissapointment like the last time and i want my laptop setup with the basic things i need,it's not much i need but without that things,the basic setup,i can't use my computer normaly and learn linux at my own speed.I can't split my screen Windows I Linux :razz:
I have a dual boot but it's crazy to change every time to Windows to do the things wich don't work at Linux and then go back again.

I play a lot of Backgammon online and need the right Java for that,the Java i found in Synaptac stuck at 4% while loading the gameroom.Thats the most important thing i need to work.The next thing is the media,i like to listen to online radio and watch television and things like that.If i have that two things at work i have a system good enough to proceed with and then i don't need Windows anymore.

If there is somebody who like to add me at Msn (or another messenger) to help me set up those things while i'm doing it please add me: leonneke@fastmail.fm (msn)

Thanks for reading this and keep up the good work at this forum :)

Leon

SteelValor
January 5th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Hi Leon, Check out the Ubuntu Guide. It's for n00bs like you and me :D

Derek Djons
January 5th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Hoi Leon,
Welcome again into Linux. The Ubuntu Guide and Wiki will provide you with hell of a lot answers to questions and mysteries.

Have a nice stay :)

leonneku
January 5th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Thanks SteelValor and Derek Djons!
I looked at the Ubuntu Guide and i think it's very prommising for me.
I'm now on Windows and i change later to Linux to try things out.
But my experience is that if i do things exactly like it is written down,something different happen that should be happen.

Leon

leonneku
January 6th, 2006, 02:53 AM
I feel stupid now...;)
Everything is working now and it was so easy.Thanks a lot for the userguide hint!
There is much much more to learn,but now i can do my things while learning and i don't need windows anymore :)

Thanks again,Leon