PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Checking, before switching to Ubuntu, if my present hw and sw is compatible

Bjebeje
April 19th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I am considering running Ubuntu on my Desktop from 2002. Before going ahead it would be great if there were a possibility to scan my computer to check if all hardware can run on Ubuntu. Then, of course, it would be great doing something similar for the Software as well. Is there anything available?

s.fox
April 19th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Hi,

You could test out your hardware by using LiveCD. It won't install anything on your hard drive but will give you a change to see if it all works okay.

Take a look here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD) for more information.

Hope this helps.

-Ash R

Bjebeje
April 19th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Could it be easier at all? ;-) Thanks for your quick reply.

s.fox
April 19th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Hi,

Not that I can think of to be honest. I think its one of the best ways to check before "making the plunge". :D

You could just list your hardware and people could post if they have experienced any problems getting it setup. Though that might take a little longer.

-Ash R

mgranet
April 19th, 2009, 07:00 PM
The LiveCD really is the best method of ensuring hardware compatability. Alternatively, you could post all of your system specs, and we may be able to help from that angle. From the software end; If you use Linux, you pretty much use Linux apps. If you come to Ubuntu expecting all of your Windows software to work out of the box, you will be in for a bit of disappointment. There is Wine, if course, but it is a bit more work. Best to check for Linux alternatives here: http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Alternatives

oldrocker99
April 19th, 2009, 07:03 PM
When I first booted the Hardy live CD and saw that networking AND printing worked, I turned my back on M$ forever, and I haven't looked back.

:guitar:

Penguin Guy
April 19th, 2009, 07:04 PM
You must* run Ubuntu on a live CD before you install it.

* It is technically possible not to, I believe. But not running the live CD first is extremely unwise and dangerous for many reasons.

Bjebeje
April 19th, 2009, 08:07 PM
The LiveCD really is the best method of ensuring hardware compatability. Alternatively, you could post all of your system specs, and we may be able to help from that angle. From the software end; If you use Linux, you pretty much use Linux apps. If you come to Ubuntu expecting all of your Windows software to work out of the box, you will be in for a bit of disappointment. There is Wine, if course, but it is a bit more work. Best to check for Linux alternatives here: http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Alternatives
Sure, I don't expect all my Windows sw to run on Ubuntu, but it would be good to be able to know which ones may be available in "Ubuntu versions" or which sw to use for replacement.

halitech
April 19th, 2009, 08:43 PM
if you run games on this system you may want to consider dualbooting as well. Some games will run via WINE but there is no 3d support in WINE so they won't look very good if they do run.

starcannon
April 19th, 2009, 08:58 PM
if you run games on this system you may want to consider dualbooting as well. Some games will run via WINE but there is no 3d support in WINE so they won't look very good if they do run.

Wine does support select 3D games, though it can be a bit of a setup. If one doesn't mind paying for some software, Cedega makes the process easy and also supports select 3D games; most notably World of Warcraft (notable only because its wildly popular at the moment).

There is also a great selection of First Person Shooters available natively on Ubuntu, still, halitech is correct, if your a big gamer, you'll need to keep a windows partition around awhile longer, or grab a console.

halitech
April 20th, 2009, 01:10 AM
guess I should have said 3d support is limited and may not work very well instead of none :)