PDA

View Full Version : [other] Silly PCI compatiblity question

theDaveTheRave
April 19th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Hello all

I'm thinking of turning an "old" pc into a TV / file storage system...

Currently it is running an AMD Athlon chipset (it must be 3 or 4 years old now).

It doesn't have a huge amount of memory, 500mb, or HDD (30 gig).

It has an NVidia video card (but only 512k on board memory).

however I have a load of PCI slots still available.

I'm wondering if I would be able to use a "new" digital TV tuner on this system provided it is PCI?

I know that I haven't given a great breakdown of the spec of this pc, so please forgive me for that. If my idea is even possible I'll get the box open and see exactly what I'm dealing with.

If however I would be better off to just getting a new TV I'll do that in stead...

But you may wonder why I am thinking of this at all...

Well I looked into getting a nice 24 or 25 inch flat panel telly. And then noticed that a similar sized pc monitor seems to be half the price?

A quick look on amazon shows 2 samsung screens this one (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LS22WJNKFU-22-inch-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/B001CWBF5Y/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1240154177&sr=1-19) and this one (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-SM2333HD-Monitor-Digital-Tuner/dp/B001PN68HU/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1240154177&sr=1-21).

So I figured I could do the following....

Get a slightly bigger monitor, digital TV tuner, and end up with a more flexibly entertainment system than I currently have, and one that wont go "out of date" so quickly and that I can reasonably cheaply upgrade as I have the funds to do so. ie add a TB internal disk for downloading films onto, upgrade the video and sound to give full "home cinema", eventually get a "projector" for big screen viewing (a few years time) once the flat panel comes to the end of its life, but be able to get a computer "projector" rather than an "integrated TV projection system" which again seem to be about double the price.

And again as I decide I need to upgrade the pc motherboard etc I won't have the expense of getting a new TV card, as it will continue to be compatible (I hope this is the case with PCI).

Your advice / suggestions would be greately appreciated

Thanks in advance

David

prshah
April 19th, 2009, 07:38 PM
however I have a load of PCI slots still available.

I'm wondering if I would be able to use a "new" digital TV tuner on this system provided it is PCI?

Yes, any PCI card, new or old, will work in any PCI slot, old or new.

However, I had a very tricky time getting Ubuntu to work with my TV Tuner card; because I bought the el-cheapo ones.

I'd suggest you study the Mythbuntu Wiki for a good TV card, and you should have a smooth ride.

theDaveTheRave
April 20th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Yes, any PCI card, new or old, will work in any PCI slot, old or new.

Thanks for clearing that one up...

I guess it is just a matter of weather or not I need to have a more powerfull cpu, memory etc.... or should the TV card itself be able to control all of that??

However, I had a very tricky time getting Ubuntu to work with my TV Tuner card; because I bought the el-cheapo ones.
[/QUOTE=prshah;7101705]

do the TV cards (I have been thinking about getting an "Hauppage" card) work in any locality? I only ask as I recently moved to france, to descover that the digi decoder box I had in the UK didn't work in France.... or is there a way to "unlock" it (like with mobile phones?)

[quote]
I'd suggest you study the Mythbuntu Wiki for a good TV card, and you should have a smooth ride.

Yes I've allready looked there... hence the "hauppage" card being my current favourite producer, as they all seem to work "out of the box".

Thanks for your help, and I hope my "silly question" has helped someone else....

I try to remember someone else signature on this forum hat says....

"the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked"

I'm trying to live by that one now........ so maybe I can think up some other "stupid" questions :lolflag:

The only problem with stupid question is that often you don't get an answer.... so my greatfull thanks to the whole of the Ubuntu forums community who seem to have an ubundance of patience for innumerable "silly questions".

David