PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What's the purpose from changing the shell?

JCC_0864049
April 19th, 2009, 12:45 PM
hi my friends :)

What's the purpose from changing the shell?

yeats
April 19th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Different shells are available for different needs. Bash is the default shell and is more than sufficient for most people's general needs. It's actually a very rich programming environment, aside from giving you direct access to configuration files, logs, etc. Do you need a specific shell other than bash?

ddrichardson
April 19th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Just a minor correction - bash is the default login shell, the default system shell (/bin/sh) is dash and has been since 6.10.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DashAsBinSh

yeats
April 19th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Just a minor correction - bash is the default login shell, the default system shell (/bin/sh) is dash and has been since 6.10.

Hmm. On all my Ubuntu installations it has always been bash:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2009-03-20 15:08 /bin/sh -> bash

ddrichardson
April 19th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Not here:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2009-03-13 00:02 /bin/sh -> dash

unutbu
April 19th, 2009, 01:06 PM
That's interesting. How did you install Hardy? from a LiveCD?

ddrichardson
April 19th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Who? FWIW from a Live CD.

blueridgedog
April 19th, 2009, 01:10 PM

On my 8.10 install, bash is the default. I would have noticed

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

I installed via liveCD.

yeats
April 19th, 2009, 01:17 PM

If you mean me - I installed from a Live CD of Hardy and have since upgraded to intrepid, but it's always been bash for me. I would have noticed, too as I do some (albeit minor) bash programming from time to time on both Ubuntu and Debian systems (both using bash as default).

ddrichardson
April 19th, 2009, 01:17 PM
This is a Jaunty install BTW.

unutbu
April 19th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Who? FWIW from a Live CD.

I'm in agreement with you, ddrichardson. I believe Ubuntu symlinks /bin/sh to /bin/dash. I was asking chrissharp123 how he had installed Ubuntu.

Edit: Oops again... You guys are too quick for me :)

yeats
April 19th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I'm in agreement with you, ddrichardson. I believe Ubuntu symlinks /bin/sh to /bin/dash. I was asking chrissharp123 how he had installed Ubuntu.

Edit: Oops again... You guys are too quick for me :)

Hey again -

I've read the wiki, which pretty plainly says that dash is the default system shell while bash is the default login shell. I'm now trying to see where I would find that out on my system. I have not altered the symlink from /bin/sh, and mine lists bash:

ls -l /bin/sh
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2009-03-20 15:08 /bin/sh -> bash

Any way I would otherwise know that dash is being used elsewhere?

ddrichardson
April 19th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Its not a show stopper or anything its just that dash is smaller and fully POSIX compliant. Is this upgraded to Hardy or a fresh install?

blueridgedog
April 19th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Perhaps the shells listed in /etc/passwd are all login shells, but the system shells on our systems are indeed dash. I have always specified bash in my shell scripts, so I would not have had an issue.

blueridgedog
April 19th, 2009, 02:13 PM
And the proof as to it being a system shell on my box:

james@Ripstop:~$ ls /bin/sh -al
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2008-12-26 21:46 /bin/sh -> dash

So, it is indeed dash as a default, but bash as a login shell. But, if I have bash as a login shell, I assume then that any xterms I launch are then bash?

It appears so:

james@Ripstop:~$ echo $SHELL
/bin/bash

ddrichardson
April 19th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Yes, its the execution of shell scripts where #/bin/sh is specified

yeats
April 19th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Its not a show stopper or anything its just that dash is smaller and fully POSIX compliant. Is this upgraded to Hardy or a fresh install?

It was a fresh install of Hardy 8.04.2 back in February that I have since upgraded to Intrepid.

Re: What's the purpose from changing the shell?
And the proof as to it being a system shell on my box:

Code:

james@Ripstop:~$ ls /bin/sh -al
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2008-12-26 21:46 /bin/sh -> dash

So, it is indeed dash as a default, but bash as a login shell. But, if I have bash as a login shell, I assume then that any xterms I launch are then bash?

It appears so:

Code:

james@Ripstop:~$ echo $SHELL
/bin/bash

That's so weird. I KNOW I haven't changed anything and mine symlinks to bash. I wonder why?

@OP

sorry we've hijacked your post to talk about this - has your question been answered? :-)

JCC_0864049
April 20th, 2009, 10:17 PM
yes thx
but what is POSIX ?

ddrichardson
April 20th, 2009, 10:35 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POSIX

What is Google ;-)