PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] cammnad line issue: run program

3l3vans
April 19th, 2009, 06:12 AM
i have been learning C from a book as of late and i ran into a strange problem today that i am not even sure how to phrase the question. i WAS using SUSE 11.1 and having no problem creating code, compiling it in GCC, and then running each program by typing its name. NOW i have switched to Xubuntu (because it rules!) and i am having a problem.
I use NANO to code, just like i did in SUSE, and i use GCC to compile just like i did in SUSE. GCC gives me no errors, but when i type the name of the program i get "command not found". YES i am in the right location when trying to run said programs and it happens with the both the code i created in SUSE and the code i have created since i switched. I have checked the permissions of said files and they all belong to my current user in Xubuntu. I checked to make sure they were marked "executable" and they are.
Am i just missing a package? Is there a run command for this version of bash that i am using? i dunno. here are my specs:

bash -version=

GNU bash, version 3.2.39(1)-release (i486-pc-linux-gnu)
Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

gcc -version=

gcc (Ubuntu 4.3.2-1ubuntu12) 4.3.2
Copyright (C) 2008 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

i don't think my hardware is important in this case but i am on an eeepc 900ssd. any info on where to look would be grand, thanks 3l

doas777
April 19th, 2009, 06:16 AM
well, when I want to run a script/app from the directory I am currently in, I always add ./ to the begining of the app name.
eg
./a.out

3l3vans
April 19th, 2009, 06:37 AM
THANK YOU that did the trick...i guess it just wasn't required in my previous version of bash...cheers! 3l

3l3vans
April 19th, 2009, 06:39 AM
now how do i mark this thing solved? :)

glotz
April 19th, 2009, 06:40 AM
The functionality is broken at the moment, so you can't.

anewguy
April 19th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Just go to your first post, click edit, then click the advanced button. This will allow you to edit the title - just add [SOLVED] to the front of the title and save it.

Dave :)