PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Atheros 802.11 not working

MinatureCookie
April 18th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Hey, just recently installed Ubuntu over Windows, and I cannot connect to the internet...
It was working before on Windows, and I've done all I can to see the problem on Ubuntu, but I'm still kinda new.
So I'm looking at "Hardware Drivers" and it's telling me that there's a driver for "Atheros 802.11 wireless LAN cards", and that it's active.
I've also got in the network bit, a wireless connection with my correct SSID and WEP code in all the correct places - but it just won't connect...
I typed into the Terminal...:
sudo lshw -C network
and it told me that the wireless thing is under "*-network UNCLAIMED"

What any of that means, I have no idea - but I'm hoping it will mean something to some Ubuntu-geniuses?
And any sharing of that knowledge would be largely appreciated ;)

(As another problem, maybe somehow relevent, my largest screen resolution is 800x600, annoyingly for some reason.. Relevent at all?)

mikewhatever
April 19th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Why don't you post the output of the above mentioned command.

hotweiss
April 19th, 2009, 07:28 AM
What notebook do you have? Your wifi is probably not working because of an ACPI issue.

What video card do you have?

zerosoul
April 19th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Im having the same problem with my wifi card Atheros 5007... but then this card has been a problem for a long time... Backtrack 3 final managed to solve the problem but i not know what they have done to get it working

lisati
April 19th, 2009, 10:49 AM
I'm mildly curious: what flavour atheros? The information might help others suggest a solution. (BTW, I'm not talking about the 802.11 bit)

dodle
April 19th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Have you tried using the Windows driver with ndiswrapper?

MinatureCookie
April 19th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo Mobile v5515.
I haven't tried a Windows driver with an ndiswrapper, but I honestly wouldn't know where to look for a Windows driver.. To Google I suppose.
As to what flavour of Atheros, I don't know - it's an inbuilt thing in the laptop, and all I know I posted in the first post.
I will print out all of the output of that command, yeah - I just only did what I thought was vital as I have no way of copying and pasting it over, I have to write it down word-for-word...:
*-network UNCLAIMED
description: Ethernet controller
product: AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter
vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
version: 01
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix cap_list
configuration: latency=0

*-network DISABLED
description: Ethernet interface
physical id: 2
logical name: pan0
serial: 82:65:2a:b5:f0:56
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A link=yes multicast=yes

zerosoul
April 19th, 2009, 11:53 AM
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
Subsystem: Askey Computer Corp. Unknown device 7128
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 5
Memory at ff2f0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Capabilities: <access denied>

Shad0wZ
April 19th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I'm mildly curious: what flavour atheros? The information might help others suggest a solution. (BTW, I'm not talking about the 802.11 bit)

How would you be able to track this?
I'm having the same problem as the OP, but with another laptop.

MinatureCookie
April 19th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Don't mean to "bump" but.. Does anyone have any idea? Not having the internet is sort of annoying :-/

hotweiss
April 20th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo Mobile v5515.
I haven't tried a Windows driver with an ndiswrapper, but I honestly wouldn't know where to look for a Windows driver.. To Google I suppose.
As to what flavour of Atheros, I don't know - it's an inbuilt thing in the laptop, and all I know I posted in the first post.
I will print out all of the output of that command, yeah - I just only did what I thought was vital as I have no way of copying and pasting it over, I have to write it down word-for-word...:
*-network UNCLAIMED
description: Ethernet controller
product: AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter
vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
version: 01
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix cap_list
configuration: latency=0

*-network DISABLED
description: Ethernet interface
physical id: 2
logical name: pan0
serial: 82:65:2a:b5:f0:56
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A link=yes multicast=yes

Here you go:

http://linuxwiki.de/LutzWillek/V5535

The above guide will show you how to get everything working. Please note that you will need a LAN internet connection just to get through some of the installs. Installing the wifi drivers is just a matter of copying and pasting commands into terminal. Installing the graphic card drivers might be a little more complicated, so you can also try these English help links:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4697207

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=615094