PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] HP's in-built microphone does not work

silentrebel
April 18th, 2009, 06:55 PM
I have quite a frustrating hardware problem: my HP laptop's microphone does not work. I've been testing it in Sound Recorder... My eventual hope is to get it working with Skype.

I've opened the mixer with the speaker-icon in the top panel. I've fiddled with the options and noticed that all the microphone buttons (below the vertical slide-bars) always have x's on them (probably denoting the fact that they are muted). When I unmute them, close the mixer and reopen it, I notice that they are muted again.

I have read and followed many threads to no avail; some describe problems similar to those I am experiencing but either present ineffective or unclear solutions. I was wondering if anyone could help me in this matter.
Thank you.

Tobine
April 18th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I've had nothing but problems with my HP mic so I got a headset. Works flawlessly

silentrebel
April 18th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Your suggestion worked like a charm. I then proceeded to continue looking for a solution to my initial problem:

-I opened the mixer again;
-chose HDA Intel (Alsa mixer) as the device;
-opened the Capture (Recording) tab (skip if it doesn't exist);
-pressed the Preferences button;
-checked Digital Mic 1;
-pressed the newly opened dialogue's
-in the opened Capture (Recording) tab, I unmuted the Digital Mic 1 by clicking the button the below the right vertical slide-bar (make sure there is no x on the picture of the microphone);
-I slid the right vertical slider all the way up;
-opened the options tab;
-selected Digital Mic 1 for the Digital Input Source option;
-and selected Mic for the Input Source option;

I hope this helps everyone else...

Tobine
April 18th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Its great that you have it all worked out! How good is the recording with the HP mic? Mine would only ever work if I turned my laptop around and talked into the battery :rolleyes:. Even then it still sounded crappy

silentrebel
April 18th, 2009, 09:29 PM
My microphone is not anywhere near my battery, fortunately; it is next to my webcam on the top of my laptop's hood. Nonetheless, the quality is not stunning. It's merely functional... I do not think that's Ubuntu's fault though. Shame... The sound is better captured with the plug-in microphone. I maintain that your suggestion was a good one!
Thanks again.

Tobine
April 18th, 2009, 10:00 PM
No sweat!

Yeah its definitely not ubuntu's fault because I also tried it in vista and XP and had the same results

My microphone is not anywhere near my battery

Neither is mine :-k
Whenever I spoke into the actual mic it just came out as buzzing.