PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Compaq CQ50-100ED Wireless Problem

Shad0wZ
April 18th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Good evening,

Recently i installed Ubuntu 8.10 to see whats it like.
So far i've got it running along with Windows XP Professional.
Almost everything works except for my Wireless Network adapter.

The driver manager did come with a suggestion for my wireless adapter, but it doesnt work.
Wireless is enabled inside Ubuntu and pressing the Wireless button on my laptop doesnt do anything.
Normally the icon should go blue when active but this is not the case.

The laptop is a Compaq CQ50 100ED
This is the hardware ID of the wireless adapter taken from Windows XP.
PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_001C&SUBSYS_137B103C&REV_01\4&1BD4132A&0&00A0 / http://pcidatabase.com/vendor_details.php?id=174

This would be (I think):
Atheros Communications AR5BXB63 (AR5006x)

It will be greatly appreciated if someone could help me with this one.
Ubuntu looks promising and i will continue to use it if my wireless is supported.

Thanks in advance,

Shad0wZ

FlyOutlaw
April 18th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I installed this on my Compaq the same model that you have and it recognized the wireless and is working right now this it what I am posting on now.

Ubuntu 9.04 - the Jaunty Jackalope - released in April 2009

Hope this helps
Nolan

Shad0wZ
April 18th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I'm downloading it now.

Thanks.

Shad0wZ
April 18th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Ok, well i've tried the latest version but still no success.

Also I'm not entirely sure if you get to see a list of wireless devices (Windows-like) or that you can only fill in the SSID etc. to connect to a device.

Edit:
I've reinstalled Ubuntu and now the wireless drivers work without a problem after enabling it.
I probably have done something wrong before.

Thanks again.

RandyOSailor
November 23rd, 2009, 05:45 AM
I've just gotten UBUNTU 9.10 installed. It recognizes my NIC and Wireless cards (ATHEROS AR5006X) but doesn't seem to see any wireless signals. I can switch back to Windows and am immediately connected.

How do I get the wireless card to report the available wireless signals? Maybe it's just something I'm not aware of, this new OS seems a bit strange. I keep "bouncing off" Linux but am determined to keep at it this time until I get it right.

Jerry Hale
Deltona, FL