PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Nvidia Drivers

cyclobs
April 18th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I dunno if anyone still gets this sort of problem but this has stopped me from using linux full stop!!

so using the nvidia drivers make my system freeze up and require a complete power cut to get going again. it's been like this since the release of the stable nvidia drivers and even with the latest 185 drivers this continues to happen.

ubuntu has pretty much became unusable because of this issue. is there a fix or anything for this problem?

anthonie
April 18th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Which drivers are you using and what are the specs of your machine?

Here I use the 177 version, as I had better results with this version than with the recommended 180.

So far no problems at all.

cyclobs
April 18th, 2009, 02:43 PM
tried using ever version over the recommended version but that all failed (usally use the binarys off the nvidia site) but then gave up on that which resulted in using the recommended from the resp. and no difference with that so just attempted the 177 binarys and they just failed completely so :(

edit: atm attempting the 180 beta drivers.. which is what the last most stable version of the drivers i used were..

funny the 180 beta drivers are more stable the any of the 'stable' releases

cyclobs
April 18th, 2009, 02:54 PM
beta didn't work, got a whole heap of crap about symbolic links so i just installed 173 off the reppos, hope they don't crash