PDA

View Full Version : Question for European cell phone users

cariboo
April 17th, 2009, 11:21 PM
One of my aunts who lives in the Nethterlands is coming to Canada for a vist next month. She asked if she could use her cell phone here. She says it is simlock free and that she uses pay and talk in the Nethterlands. Can she use it for pay and talk here in Canada?

Jim

Mehall
April 17th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Depends on the company.

I have T-Mobile, and I can choose to pay them, I think it's something like £10, to make it work abroad.

Of course, if it's not sim-locked, it may be easier to find out if any company offers free Pay as you go sims, and just use on of those while In canada.

capnthommo
April 17th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Hi there
It will be worth checking the bands too. European cellphones are on a different band from US/Canadian so even with the right sim it still may not work.
That's unless they have changed the system in the last 4 years. Or of course unless the phone is dual or tri-band, most are nowadays, aren't they?
If I'm wrong let me know 'cause otherwise I am labouring under a misapprehension.
I envy your aunt btw, I was supposed to be visiting Canada this year but it is not likely to happen now.
cheers
nigel
;)

Joeb454
April 18th, 2009, 12:40 AM
If there's no simlock, then yes, it should work fine with a Canadian sim :)

I think a cell phone retailer would be able to tell you a bit more

red_Marvin
April 18th, 2009, 01:07 AM
You should also check out which frequencies are used, unless things have changed, for GSM the US and some other countries--Japan I think--used one frequency, and Europe two others, so you have to make sure that the cell either is Europe compatible, or triple band (which can send on all frequencies.) I do not know what the frequencies are for 3G and other services.

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triband_(telephone) -This combined with the technical specs for the cell in question might prove useful.

cariboo
April 18th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Here in western Canada we are about 5 years behind the rest of the world. The largest cell service provider doesn't support 3g in my part of the province. There is another service provider that does do 3g , one of my cousins from the Netherlands was here last summer, her kids were constantly texting her, and aside from areas where there is no service at all, things worked quite well for her.

It is really just the pay and talk she is wondering about.

Jim

Mze
April 18th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Looks like you guys have 2 GSM providers; Fido and Rogers. She'll be needing a SIM card from one of the Canadian providers, and sign up for a Pay As You Go plan.

As long as her phone is a tri-band or quad-band one, she should be fine, get the phone model she uses and run a search on Google for more technical specs.

North American GSM frequencies are 850 and 1900 Mhz, while the Europeans are on 900 and 1800 Mhz.

cariboo
April 18th, 2009, 02:59 AM
Actually the major provider in my area is Telus, but Rogers is trying to come on strong. If I remember correctly Rogers bought Fido about a year ago.

Thanks for all the info guys, I will pass it on to my aunt.

Jim