PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Compiz Fusion TRIED EVERYTHING!!!

xfearxnxloathing
April 17th, 2009, 09:47 PM
i just installed Ubuntu 8.10 and went to System>Preferences>Appearence, clicked on Extra and right away wobbly windows worked. next i was like "oooh yeah i want compiz fusion!" so of course i come to the greatest place on earth to get help with any install dealing with Ubuntu, the "Ubuntu Forums" and so i look around and find many Compiz Fusion threads and tried all of the suggestions. first off, Synaptic Package Manager, i type in Compiz and everything dealing with Compiz is already green, meaning installes.. Second, i read a thread saying i should look up in Synaptic Package Manager "Compiz-Settings-Manager" and mark it for installation. so i go check and its not there. there is a "Compiz-Settings-Daemon" but it is already installed aswell. i'm sure there is an easy fix for this and i know you guys can help. remember that i've already got the wobbly windows to work so it's not my graphics card. thank you all who help

Envy

Peasantoid
April 17th, 2009, 09:49 PM
You say that in Synaptic, you marked compiz-settings-manager for installation?

This doesn't actually install it. You have to hit Apply for that to happen.

xfearxnxloathing
April 17th, 2009, 10:13 PM
You say that in Synaptic, you marked compiz-settings-manager for installation?

This doesn't actually install it. You have to hit Apply for that to happen.

no, i said everything that has the word "compiz" is already highlighted greeen meaning they are already installed and that when i search the synaptic package manager for compiz-settings-manager that it doesn't show up but there is a compiz-settings-daemon. but again let me say that it aswell is already in the green. all i can do with any of these is mark them for uninstall.

Peasantoid
April 17th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Aha, you are right, it isn't there.

Go to Applications > Add/Remove, search for "compiz", and install "Advanced Desktop Effects Settings (ccsm)". Is that what you were looking for?

xfearxnxloathing
April 17th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Aha, you are right, it isn't there.

Go to Applications > Add/Remove, search for "compiz", and install "Advanced Desktop Effects Settings (ccsm)". Is that what you were looking for?

you were close but not exact. for this fix if anyone else has this problem do like Peasantoid said but if you look to the upper middle of Add/Remove Programs there's a dropdown menu that by default says "Canonical-maintained applications", you'll want to change that to "All available applications". Now search "compiz" again and you'll see that "Advanced Desktop Effects Settings (ccsm)" and "Compiz Fusion Icon" have both shown up.

Peasantoid
April 17th, 2009, 10:30 PM
you were close but not exact. for this fix if anyone else has this problem do like Peasantoid said but if you look to the upper middle of Add/Remove Programs there's a dropdown menu that by default says "Canonical-maintained applications", you'll want to change that to "All available applications". Now search "compiz" again and you'll see that "Advanced Desktop Effects Settings (ccsm)" and "Compiz Fusion Icon" have both shown up.
Mmm yeah, I've just become so used to having "All available applications" turned on that I no longer notice it.

xfearxnxloathing
April 17th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Mmm yeah, I've just become so used to having "All available applications" turned on that I no longer notice it.

if this wasn't a fresh install i wouldn't had either. thank you

Peasantoid
April 17th, 2009, 10:35 PM
if this wasn't a fresh install i wouldn't had either. thank you
No problem. I feed on the happiness of others. ;)

ad_267
April 17th, 2009, 11:47 PM
I don't get it. What do you want? If you have the wobbly windows then you already have Compiz Fusion.

If you want to be able to customize your effects, then install the compizconfig-settings-manager package.

Peasantoid
April 18th, 2009, 12:00 AM
His problem is SOLVED.

ad_267
April 18th, 2009, 12:38 AM
His problem is SOLVED.

Yeah my mistake, I missed that.

xfearxnxloathing
April 18th, 2009, 11:09 PM
yes sir