PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop Cube Question?

jungleexplorer
April 17th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I know there has been a lot of questions about this subject and I have read many many replies. But none of them seem to deal with exactly what my question is. So here goes.

I have Ubuntu 8.04 installed on both my Lenovo y410 laptop and my Desktop (Custom Built). I have got the cube to work on both, but not the way I see it working on others computers such as seen on this youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg0ma-qKHrM.

In this video the cube shrinks back and can be rotated at will until the desired screen is found and then can be brought forward again. On both my laptop and desktop the cube only works like a screen flip (and yes I do have 4 work spaces or desktops). I have check and unchecked just about every option in the Advanced Desktop Effect Settings manager. There is a difference between my laptop and my Desktop though. On my laptop, no matter which options I choose, the cube does not change. You actually cannot even see the cube at all until you actual flip it and then all you see is the corner go by. But on my desktop the cube is see through and you can very faintly see the sides and the back of it. But the cube always stays full screen and only flips in the same manner as it does on my laptop. Another difference is that I can flip the cube on my laptop by moving my mouse curser to the edge of the screen but not on my desktop.

Now just to get this out of the way so we don't have to wonder about it, let me tell about my graphics cards. My laptop has an integrated Intel graphics card. When I look under hardware drivers on my laptop there is nothing there, it is empty. So I guess that means that no piece of hardware on my laptop requires proprietary drivers. But despite it being a integrated graphics card, my laptop can play graphics intense games such Americas Army, Halo, Call of Duty etc. The laptop came with Vista Premium on it and runs it fine. So it is not a bad or weak card. Now as far as my Desktop is concerned, it has an Nvidia Geforce 8400GS 512MB. Now this card did required me to enable a proprietary driver for it in the Hardware Drivers.

So to summarize; what I want is for the cube to shrink back when flipped. Just watch this video to see what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg0ma-qKHrM.

How is this done?

Jenkins1
April 17th, 2009, 05:46 PM
I think this is how to do it.
Go into compiz manager and click on "rotate cube" at the bottom there is a zoom function that changes how much of the cube you can see when rotating.

jungleexplorer
April 17th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Do you have any idea which zoom function does this? There are about 100 or more different adjustments. There are 2 zoom categories, Enhanced Zoom Desktop and Desktop Zoom.

Therion
April 17th, 2009, 06:33 PM
No, you need to open the "Rotate Cube" plugin.

Within that plugin is a slider-bar for the Zoom function you are looking for.

Jenkins1
April 17th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Go into compiz manager and click on "rotate cube" at the bottom there is a zoom function that changes how much of the cube you can see when rotating.

Its on the first tab

jungleexplorer
April 17th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Yeah! That was it! Thanks a million. I myself don't really care to much about eye candy, but I do a lot of tech support and internet security for my family and friends who all use Windows. I told them all when Vista came out that I would not stay with Windows past XP and that when XP could absolutely no longer be used I was going to Linux. In preparation for that day, I am playing around with Ubuntu. I am a functionality person, but I think if I dress up my Ubuntu system with a lot of cool eye candy, I can convince the people that depend on me for support to move to Ubuntu as well. Thanks for the help.